Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Easy and durable needle for stringing leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

If you have a need for a long needle to string leaf with and have access to used windshield wiper blades, this is a pretty easy project. For me it works better than umbrella wires, especially on the smaller leaves. The material is the "backbone" salvaged from cartridge type wiper blades, what I got was 1/32" thick X 5/32" wide. The material is galvanized, I removed that with sandpaper and it blunts the sharp edges at the same time. The point is ground like a knife edge with a large included angle, 60 - 90 degrees works well. It doesn't need to cut anything, just parting the fibers below the point as it penetrates the stem. The point itself really only needs to be sharp enough to go through the stem easily and dull enough not to get your finger. Taking the point of the needle as the "top", I put the open side of the hook on the bottom. The other way around tears up the stems too much passing the leaves off onto the string. To shape the hook I used a motor tool with an abrasive cut-off wheel, at a low angle about 2/3 across the width. I then blunted all the new sharp edges with a file and sandpaper.

To use, I loaded up the needle with leaves and then hooked the string and pulled the leaves over the string in bunches. It's much easier to do with sticky fingers than trying to thread an eye.

Overview.jpgPoint a.JPGPoint b.JPGHook.JPG

Ishi

I put a little more work in mine. Used a piece if 1/16 gas welding rod flattened one end and drilled it, then enlarged the whole with a needle file and ground a point on the other end. Tempered it the best i could so it would not bend. If you hold the lief by the mid rib you can push the needle through easy without snapping the the mid rib. I f you hold the back of the mid rib above and below where you insert the needle you will snap it about every time .

leverhead

Ishi, you might try this when you get a chance. The material I got will flex allot before takes a set. I got very little breakage on the stems.

DGBAMA

LH, those blade backings are generally stainless steel.....no coating to remove. Another bonus.

I also use them as filler/rod with my tig welder when doing stainless.

leverhead

Cool! Now we know what tool makers do with all that spare time. :p

I ran out of spare time this year, probably will next year too.

LH, those blade backings are generally stainless steel.....no coating to remove. Another bonus.

I also use them as filler/rod with my tig welder when doing stainless.

These are a carbon steel, but if it's stiff enough to support a wiper blade stainless would be a plus. I'll check my neighbor's car after the lights go out.

ne3go

Excellent idea and they look exactly like the professional needles that used to string leaves.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like you took something simple and made it complicated,

i myself like to use the '' marking flags '' they sell at any hardware store, '' loop'' one end '' load the wire, which pokes easily thru the leaf... when loaded... loop the oteher end, and hang,

thats why in my kiln i got orange '' flag markers'' everywhere, i use the '' flag'' part to label whats on it

..SAM_0026.jpgSAM_0028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.