Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How many ya'll plan on planting this new year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

After a successful grow season; just started topping.
Wanted to see how many plants ya'll plan on planting for the next year.
Especially curious to hear from those who are on their 2nd grow.

Boboro

Im cutting back. Buy my self I can do 300 an take care of them. So I think abut 200 next year. 4th. year.

Brown Thumb

3rd year I will be cutting back to 1000 plants.
All flue cured types . Maybe some ismir also.
I might throw a row of havana in also.
ok 1500 plants.
hell I am not done harvesting this years patch yet

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
My 6th year, doing just 120-130 plants total.
Am just after quality, of my favorite strains, and ease in the gardening efforts.

workhorse_01

5 acres in one field and probably 300 plus seed growout. I'll run the 5 acres more commercial. The 300 plus seed will be cared for by hand. I 've been thinking about another 50 -100 in a shade grow plot with the cloth I got from Johnlee.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just completed my layout for 2014. I'll be putting in 240 plants (60 of which are closely spaced Orientals), with a total of 19 varieties. [1 less variety than 2013! Yay!]

Bob

springheal

How many!

The problem I had is to always have more seedlings than what you need so you have lots of spare plants should you need to replace some.

Excellent strategy BUT, this season I only needed to replace 3 and hated the thought of disposing the leftovers.

Therefore, my planting plan went out the window and planted an extra row. Three instead of two. No middle row would have been ideal.

As usual, I couldn't help myself even though I kept telling myself it was a bad idea:rolleyes:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If it makes you feel better, you can snip off the stalk of your excess seedlings just above the first node, and keep them watered. They will sprout a sucker stalk. Repeat as needed. Tobacco is a perennial, and will be perfectly happy in a tiny transplant cell for multiple years. Talk to them during the winter. Watch them form a feeble blossom head and produce seed. Then snip them off again.

Regardless, it's a good practice to harden yourself to the need for tossing out the excess, rather than compromising the quality of the grow. My personal rule is that I have to dig a new bed if I want to plant excess seedlings. That makes it a more self-limiting process.

Bob

DGBAMA

150 large plants and about 100 close spaced orientals. Unless a friend whpledged help comesthrough......then it could be 500 or so.

workhorse_01

Bob, You're just saving that last type in case someone comes up with an unheard of cigar variety. Ha.
I just completed my layout for 2014. I'll be putting in 240 plants (60 of which are closely spaced Orientals), with a total of 19 varieties. [1 less variety than 2013! Yay!]

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.