Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what is curing gas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

I would suggest that the combination of temp and bucket had more toyellowing than the bananas? Maybe try two buckets treated the same in single batch, with and without the fruit and compare the difference?

Dean

I did that before the bucket. Had leaves warped in newspaper, some with apples, some with bananas, some with combination. The controls had no fruit. In all cases the fruit out performed the controll.

cheers

Ben Brand

A short story about curing gas.
When I was a comercial flu-cured tobacco farmer we planted a 15 Ha circle late one season. We were worried about the cold weather and frost, someone suggested curing gas or banana gas (Ethrel). the tobacco was just beginning to show sighns of ripeness. We were warned by the byuers not to use it, but as you know farmers we didn`t listen. We sprayed the liquid Ethrel on the tobacco with a crop sprayer and started reaping. The tobacco changed colour quickly in the bulk curers and cured with a slight reddish tint. The buyers rejected it, and we sat with loads of tobacco, we stacked it away for a few months in lower case. When all our other tobacco were sold, we graded the ethrel tobacco, that by this time had a beautifull light brown colour. The buyers were so impressed with this tobacco and gave it a light mohogany grade, we made loads of money with that mohogany graded tobacco. They were also so pissed off when I told them it was the ethrel tobacco.
I agree with Dgbama, it worked when we were comercial farmers, but I wont do it now with my hobby tobacco.
Ben

Dean

This was originally an experiment on another forum where immature tobacco had to be harvested. There were several posts there about early harvesting due to sick wives, operations bad weather etc. so being a bit of a slow week I got buisy finding out how to help colour high nitrogenous green leaf. After a bit of private discussion with Todd and reading up a few links and google searches came up with the leaf in a bucket. Fruit for the ethylene source and since this gear is used in a flue cured situation commercially held a uniform heat.

This was never meant to be a case of speeding up curing on a large scale and definitely not a substitute for priming. Unlike commercial growers this was not used as part of the flue curing process. It was used as an aid to artificially mature green leaf that would have ended up in the compost.

If it helps only one person fix colour in their immature leaves for whatever reason I think my time is well spent testing its application on a small scale.

cheers

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think it was a worthy experiment. That's how we learn stuff around here, trial and error.

DGBAMA

Thank you Dean, and hopefully 2014 brings us all weather that doesnt require such measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.