Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hearing Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
By the age, I think hearing loss is normal. I came across this basic test.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

Actually, I have no idea if it's helpful or not (or has a scientific base) but it says that;

"It’s fairly common for people who are over 25 years of age to not be able to hear above 15kHz."

I did hear all the voices from 8 to 22 kHz but my son couldn't hear anything after 17 kHz (he's over 25).

Interesting, may be there's no reason for me to go to an ear doctor :)

How is yours ?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The page opened for me but there was no link to actually take the test. I have some pretty severe high frequency deafness from shooting lots of guns as a youngster without hearing protection.

istanbulin

Founding Member
There're "play" buttons for each frequency. I took it this way.

Kn511M.jpg

leverhead

Mine's shot! I can hear 8 KHz, after that some I can hear a little bit, others not at all. Whatever range my wife speaks in, I don't miss.

Markw

I could hear up to 12Kh on that test, but I am thinking that the computer speakers won't go much higher that 12 at most. I might be wrong but that is what I found on the internet search.

winston-smoker

Like Markw I could unmistakably hear up to 12kh, and I thought I faintly heard something at 14kh, but I am also thinking that the computer speaks won't go much higher.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I do not know if this test (the kHz of the sounds) is reliable but I'm sure I did hear. Before this matter I don't know too much about this issue, after a quick search I found this ;

The Audible Spectrum said:
Humans can detect sounds in a frequency range from about 20 Hz to 20 kHz. (Human infants can actually hear frequencies slightly higher than 20 kHz, but lose some high-frequency sensitivity as they mature; the upper limit in average adults is often closer to 15–17 kHz.) Not all mammalian species are sensitive to the same range of frequencies. Most small mammals are sensitive to very high frequencies, but not to low frequencies. For instance, some species of bats are sensitive to tones as high as 200 kHz, but their lower limit is around 20 kHz—the upper limit for young people with normal hearing. One reason for these differences is that small objects, including the auditory structures of these small mammals, are better resonators for high frequencies, whereas large objects are better for low frequencies (which also explains why the violin has a higher pitch than the cello).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10924/

I don't know much about speaker systems but audio CD's are 44.1 kHz so I think an average quality of speaker should go up to 44.1 kHz at least.

I think I don't have baby ears to hear above 20 kHz so this basic test is probably not very reliable, or may be I have to go to a medical research center and allow doctors to make a research on my ears. :D But this did not sound good.

DGBAMA

My teenage daughter and her friends found a ringtone called "mosquito wings" i think; high frequency; they could hear it, but teachers could not.

DrBob

Founding Member
she says rummurummddrummarummabummm. I say what are you trying to say? then she says do you want to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.