Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Like a fine whiskey delivered through a patio misting system, or a expertly crafted dessert smeared 1/8th of an inch thick on a silver platter this fine, fine blend of CB Valley and Peruvian seco and hint of Nicaraguan viso was simply spread too thin due to poor construction. Can't wait to get my rolling down to REALLY enjoy this!

I have never thought of a fine whiskey delivered thru a patio misting system. Have to try that out.

Easydoesit

I recently cut down on my smokes and started a new, virtually sugar free diet. It has made the cigars I do smoke taste sweeter and amazinger than ever! This one has plenty of the “Black” ligero. 6DA564B4-5C0E-40B1-A733-7A13B63ABCF5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Radagast

This is my first ever roll. Just a little wee cheroot of all homegrown; yellow twist bud field lugs, goose creek red field lugs, a bit of Prilep 66-97 just to fill it up and a Harrow velvet wrapper in a @deluxestogie style quick roll. Would look great in a Clint Eastwood movie and I have to say it tasted juuuuust fine to me, just a bit of a 'canoe' issue but totally satisfying. Thanks to Bob for the easy going roll technique, I could have easily gotten frustrated.
20200803_164149.jpg20200803_165819.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
VIEWER ALERT: The following description contains details that non-growers may find objectionable.

Garden20200803_5326_cigar_aphids_700.jpg

This 2015 leaf was primed from relatively high on a really tall stalk--a stepladder-tall stalk. Most of the leaf that I've used so far has been reasonably clean stuff, with occasional dead bugs and pine seeds and corn anthers that would easily flick away as I prepped the leaf.

For this particular cigar, I pulled out 3 snugly nested leaves for the filler. I don't know how I missed this during priming. These were encrusted with a layer of desiccated, and tenacious aphids on their under-surfaces. I always clean away these things meticulously. But these had become a part of the leaves. I think I was able to brush away less than half of the original aphids. Dried aphid bodies are mostly chitin, which is a polysaccharide. I have always assumed I would be able to easily taste it in a burning cigar.

I reached a decision point: toss the leaf, or smoke it. So this was an experiment. To my surprise and delight, I can taste nothing other than tobacco. The bunny was surprised too. Although dried aphids on tobacco leaf look genuinely disgusting, it seems to make zero difference in the taste. (I learned in USAF survival training that a nice fat ant tastes kind of lemony. No lemon here.)

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200804_5328_cigar_Besuki_700.jpg

This stick has no binder. The filler blend is tasty and interesting, and seems to offer medium nicotine. Besuki Nota Tengahan is much thicker than most of the Besuki wrapper that I have tried, either from WLT or from the 3 varieties of Besuki I have grown (Java Besuki tabakanbau, Ambulu Besuki and Kesilir Besuki). It is sturdy enough for a half-leaf to do a decent solo job as binder/wrapper. The finished cigar felt solid, but the tempting Besuki scrap from the head cut triggered a maternal instinct, causing me to add a reinforcement to the head. Besuki taste is relatively neutral. The Pelo d'Oro and Reñe together add a bit of earthiness, but really not much.

Bob

Jvergen

So this is another one for Bob thanks for instilling the everyday easy roll cigar with out all the worry about it beginning perfect, this site and Don and big Bonners tobacco has made this such a great experience, so this is a WLT filler with a big bonner wrapper and binder. IMG_20200804_194818341.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that after you've rolled a few dozen cigars, the videos by other members, that show techniques for cigar artistry, will mean more to you. After I had rolled a few thousand cigars, the video by @rainmax that shows a Cuban lady in Havana, rolling cigars, offered many subtle secrets that I'm sure I would have missed without a lot of cigar rolling under my belt.

https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/rolling-habanos.4197/page-7#post-148080

Bob

tullius

I think that after you've rolled a few dozen cigars, the videos by other members, that show techniques for cigar artistry, will mean more to you. After I had rolled a few thousand cigars, the video by @rainmax that shows a Cuban lady in Havana, rolling cigars, offered many subtle secrets that I'm sure I would have missed without a lot of cigar rolling under my belt.

https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/rolling-habanos.4197/page-7#post-148080

Bob
I'm kind of the opposite here: I had the very great advantages of watching the videos of @webmost, @waikikigun, and especially @rainmax's of Senora Reglita repeatedly, and reading all over this forum, before I ever rolled my first one. It sure did help.

Agree with @deluxestogie that you'll get more from the videos after you have a few under your belt, but don't wait till you roll one or a thousand to watch those great videos: you'll get plenty before hand too.

Better yet, do it before and after and in between and during, and keep on rolling and listening and watching and learning.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The cigar rolling videos pretty much didn't exist, when I started rolling. Hmmm. This forum didn't yet exist, either. Over this past decade, the availability of videos that clearly show rolling techniques has exploded. And that is good. But many show differing and often complex approaches that may be daunting to some novices, perhaps not to other novices. Whichever videos are helpful are a boon.

The thrust of what I am hoping to get across is that rolling consistently smokable cigars is truly simple. It really is. And those early cigars can be as ugly as dog rockets, so long as they draw well and burn well. This particular thread has been where new rollers proudly show off their very first cigar. It has, of course, blossomed into a gallery of some genuinely spectacular artistry.

Most new rollers need only one to three dozen rolling sessions (of hopefully only one cigar each, that is then evaluated) to feel quite competent at rolling a smokable stogie. The most common questions about cigar problems have been the result of focusing on presentation artistry, before becoming confident about reliably rolling a smokable stick.

Garden20200805_5334_cigar_dogRocket_200v.jpg

Bob the Dog Rocket Scientist

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200805_5336_cigar_PeloDOro_puro_700.jpg

Wrapper, binder and filler are all WLT Pelo d'Oro seco. Since the leaf is rather small for a seco, and the vein angle is nearly 90°, this is about as large a cigar (both length and ring size) as I can squeeze out of it--a slightly tapered robusto. The color of the leaf is consistently lovely. Burn is, of course, superb. Taste in the mouth has a very slightly bitter edge, so I would say this is not ideal as a wrapper, regardless of its size. Nicotine is a shade under medium. Smoke aroma is smooth and relatively mild, as expected. I detect a subtle earthiness. The flavor profile is narrow, but distinctive, and I have verified that this blends well with Habano and Pennsylvania varieties.

I consider this a good choice for improving burn of a blend, adding a drier edge, and generally broadening a flavor profile without intruding. A cooperative member of an orchestra.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.