Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

El Cubanito 2014 Grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Gallo

Well 2014 grow is gonna be a bit bigger than 2013, moving the grow to the Nature Coast where I have more land. although compared to some of you veteran growers my crop of about 50 plants is tiny, Im tickled with the thought of so many tobacco plants. growing some PA red, Habano 142, Criollo 98 and Fl. Sumatra. most of the little buggers just went in to 3 inch pots to grow a bit more before puttin into the ground. I know it looks pretty basic but the plants seem to like the set up.

I tilled some rows amended with cow manure about three weeks ago so should be ready for planting. image.jpgwill update when they go to ground.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 143

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Looks like you got everything started good. 50 plants are a good number to start with and you'll be surprised at what they will produce. My first grow was a spur of the moment/last minute/ better late then never decision with about 140 plants and I wasn't near organized as you are.

Be careful, growing plants is addictive, It might be 50 this year but 500 next year. Happy growing.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Wow, talk about a patch with full sun, you've got it. You should do well there. Best of luck with your season. The harder you work, the luckier you will be.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After a few days of rain in mid July, you will be so happy you have grass to walk on between the rows. My only suggestion is to make sure you plan to mow those aisles with a mulching mower, rather than one that spits out the clippings, even if you have to do those rows by hand, with a small walk-behind. Grass clippings are a PITA to remove from tobacco leaf.

I've found that I can easily mow the outside perimeter of my beds with a riding mower, so long as I go in the direction that sprays the clippings away from the tobacco. Then I crank up an old human-propelled walk-behind to do the aisles in between. The extra effort is more than made up by the time savings in handling the leaf later. The little walk-behind also allows me to mow closer to the tobacco, without tearing up the low-hanging leaf.

Bob

Last edited:

El Gallo

I never thought about that grass spitting out of my riding mower, thanks. I have a push mower but its really a push mower with no motor, you know with the spiral blades, That is something i havent done in quite some time. So tobacco growing may be giving me a workout too! I always knew tobacco was good for my health.

El Gallo

Wow, talk about a patch with full sun, you've got it. You should do well there. Best of luck with your season. The harder you work, the luckier you will be.

Oh its full sun alright, 10 acres of full sun, Ive got 500 pine saplings that i planted just after last thanks giving and i few little oaks that dont put out shade yet but theres only shade on the perimeter and only at the east and west ends. But hey its all mine! I plan on growing more and more but its still 1 year 10 mnths and 7 days before i retire.

Brown Thumb

It don't matter if your grow is big or small
Everyone is here to help you.
Looks like you have a good start and the sun is what Baccy loves.
I hope you have a Super Season.
BT

El Gallo

Thanks for the support, I gotta tell ya this site and the folks I've chatted with are just terrific. Will post when my plants go to ground.

El Gallo

The grow bug is an understatement, I just flat out love growing tobacco, but getting it to the smoking stage is my favorite hobby, besides smoking cigars. I am hoping to get to the point where I have enough home grown on hand to just roll at will. Blending the tobacco for my stogies is just as fun. Yeah I've caught the bug for sure. When I retire in just under 2 years, I plan on upping the ante a bit and growing enough varieties to have a few different blends to keep it interesting.

Indianamac

Retirement in 2 years, you lucky dog!!

I've got awhile to go before I can think of that.
I hope my grow this year, is successful enough to have cured, fermented homegrown cigar tobacco within 3 years. I can't wait to blend my own either. Til then, I will depend on folks like WLT to provide the product for my sticks.

El Gallo

Yep that's where I get my tobacco right now, I've got a tiny bit that my 9 plants produced last season, I cured fermented and now it's age ing , I think by the third season I will have a bit to roll. Just hope it's as tastey as the stuff I been buyin. Sure looks and smells as good!

El Gallo

image.jpgKnucklehead heres the way those seeds you sent me looked last night when i check em. i was away for the weekend and they hadnt even broken out before i left, very pleasant surprise. I did get some more row spacee tilled this weekend though cause im gonna need it, will probably have about 75-80 plants this year. And a good variety for ceegars!

quo155

This blog...and others, is really helpful for me! I get excited seeing this and anticipating what I can do at home on my three little acres! I can hardly wait to start my first batch of seeds and will take direction from this and other blogs...to show what I am doing, only adding to my excitement!

Thanks...keep it coming...and good luck!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's always a relief to see the new seedlings breaking ground. Best of luck with your season.

El Gallo

Fingers crossed as this is my second season and I'm jumping in with both feet. I grew to tiny crops las year, less than 10 plants each, but this is going to be interesting for sure. Since I am going to have to separate each type of tobacco at each prime to keep everything organized and that's of course if all goes well in my grow. More picks when everything goes to ground.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Fingers crossed as this is my second season and I'm jumping in with both feet. I grew to tiny crops las year, less than 10 plants each, but this is going to be interesting for sure. Since I am going to have to separate each type of tobacco at each prime to keep everything organized and that's of course if all goes well in my grow. More picks when everything goes to ground.

You may even want to separate the filler by stalk position. Seco, viso, ligero for more blending options.

Status
Not open for further replies.