Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Inexpensive Tuck Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For several years, I have cut the tuck (foot) of my freshly rolled cigars with my kulu (surrogate chaveta). This works fairly well. The most common problem that this causes is that occasionally, a tiny bit of wrapper is split on either side of the foot, as a result of the crushing effect of the kulu blade. The kulu cuts from only a single direction, toward the underlying cutting board, and with a convex blade curvature that is opposite of the curve of the cigar foot.

Commercial tuck cutters incorporate two concave blades to minimize the likelihood of splitting the foot. They also usually provide an adjustable length gauge for replicating the length of multiple cigars--if you happen to be a factory. Some of them are designed to mount onto the upper margin of a cutting board. They can be stunningly expensive (over $200 new), though used ones can be found for much less. If you buy a used one, expect to do some serious sharpening.

There are some fancy double-bladed guillotine cigar cutters on the market (intended for opening the head) that often cost $30 to $60 or more. These would accomplish a clean tuck cut, though they do lack the length gauge.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that JR Cigars (www.jrcigars.com) offered a basic, double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter for $3. I purchased two. The blades are stainless steel.
http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cf...12/DOUBLE-BLADED-GUILLOTINE-CUTTER-GREEN.html

Garden20140425_1146_GuillotineCutters_500.jpg

These are both the same size, despite the camera angle. The upper one is unmodified.

This cheapo cutter accommodates up to about 60 ring (1" in diameter), and easily makes a perfect tuck cut--much nicer than the kulu can make. The stainless edges should last a while.

But it has a serious problem. The two blades, which move with the finger holes, close firmly against the center plastic piece. Apparently for aesthetic reasons, the designer of this device made the concave arcs of the center piece end in sharp points--looks pretty when closed. No matter how much I paid attention to the positioning of my extra fingers (the ones not inserted into the finger holes), I repeatedly pinched a fingertip when the blades closed. I have a blood blister to prove it.

By using a cutting disk on a Dremmel, I removed all four of those nasty points. Problem solved. Notice the notches in the right closure on the modified cutter (the lower one in the photo).

At only $3 each, plus a quick mod with a Dremmel or small file, these inexpensive cutters can be a useful addition to your cigar-making arsenal.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
These cigar scissors at JR Cigars are also pretty nice. I wish they listed the maximum ring gauge. http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cf...code=3CSS/STAINLESS-STEEL-CIGAR-SCISSORS.html

[h=1]CIGAR CUTTERS[/h]
3CSS.jpg

J·R Price: $5.50
MSRP: $13.00
You Save: $7.50
Quantity

bill_later.gif
paypal.gif

STAINLESS STEEL CIGAR SCISSORS
Item Code: 3CSS
A gleaming polished finish gives these durable stainless steel cigar scissors a far more luxe appearance than the very reasonable price would imply, while rubber grips ensure a steady hand every time.

quo155

I was pointed to this thread (via another thread:Cigar Cutters For Rolling Your Own Cigars)...very useful information here, comical (to me) at first as I never even considered using one of these as a "tuck cutter"...but now I realize that until I find the "old, antique, vintage...tuck cutter" that I want, this will work just fine. I even have a box of these that I've gathered here and there and several that I used to hand out when pushing products for General Cigar Co. Of course the typical guillotine is small, but will cut the size of cigar that I intend to roll...as I've used these many a times to cut back a cigar that I had started smoking and was forced to stop for some reason or another.

Great idea!

Also, helpful tips...in removing the little "pincher" on these...as a dremmel is a must have in my shop, easy to fix!

Thanks!!!

RUNSUPRIVER

I use a dual blade like this. I've pinched m fingers a couple times too. Now I need to do a mod.
Thanks!

ArizonaDave

I use the exact same model. I love it! A little tricky if you ever want to sharpen it, but can be done with a sharpening steel rod pretty easily. I hate to waste stainless steel, but will have to replace one of these days. Had mine for 10 years now.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When my cheap guillotine cutter seems to need sharpening, it actually is just in need of cleaning. It doesn't come apart, so I use a dampened paper towel to clean each blade on each side for as much of it as can be exposed by sliding the two blades to various positions. Bam! Suddenly sharper. So far, it has been used to clip both ends of between 300 and 500 cigars, and shows no indication of dulling its extra-sharp edges.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.