Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Puro No 1 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

Puro No 1.jpg

puro front.JPG

Yesterday evening it was day one, rolling my my first cigar.
More of preparations then i thought !!
Making glue, fixing my tuck cutter on my board, and then casing the leaves.
I started with my leaves from Leafonly, because they look to me, experienced cigar roller, less quality the my package from FTT. More about that later.
The leaves come definitely not in case, the wrapper leaves are 1 inch wide(folded) and too dry. Anyway I moisten them, put them in a damp towel, let them sit for a hour. For me, many to holes in the leaves. I think it is better to use the outside of the leave, less thicker veins, but because of the holes I had to come more to the central vain.
Ok, rolled it with what I remembered from the movies I saw, too thick, i had to take some filler out, but finally i put in in the 48 gauge mold for a while.
Rolled the wrapper y voilà ....
Have a lot of questions, but one important is about my glue. It is still very liquid and didn't glue well on the moist wrapper. I tried it on paper before and after drying it glued ok, but that was maybe the paper absorbed the water.
What consistency should it be ? more like a gel ?
I will try to dry it here and will give it a smoke in a few days
Tonight I roll an other one, WHAT FUN !!!!!

Jan.

Last edited by a moderator:

moscca

Thanks Gdaddy​, because my glue was not working well, I did not put a flag and cap at the end. Will give it another try tonight.

No-acid pectin cigar glue. I used 1 part pectin, 1,5 parts water.

Wrapper: PA Oscuro Wrapper

Binder: CT Broadleaf
Filler: Aged Nicaraguan Ligero, Aged Nicaraguan Seco

Jan.

Gdaddy

That's a great blend. One of my favorites.

I didn't much care for pectin. Did you taste it? I ended up re-rolling 50 cigars because of it. Way too bitter for me. I don't think pectin is used in the cigar industry. They use Gum Tragacanth or celluslose glue. My favorite by far is the cellulose. It's thick and pasty and hydrates the leaf very well making triple caps much easier to do. It has no odor, no flavor, no color. It's that jar of thick waxy looking stuff you see the Torceadors using in most videos.

webmost

Look at that black beauty!

Hey, you might not want to put your credit card number out there for everyone on the internet to read off the numbers. Someone ought to black out that bit of the photo, if there is a way.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Mosca,
Starting with dry pectin powder, add a few drops of water at a time, while mixing. Aim for a very thick paste. When applying it, use only a very tiny amount spread evenly along the outer leaf margin at the head. If the leaf is too wet, the pectin is too wet or the pectin is applied too heavily, it will require a long time to dry and hold.

Bob

Brooksy

I'd smoke it. You're pectin should be like a gel. my first batch was, my current batch is watery. I don't use much glue these days anyway so it hasn't been a big deal.

moscca

Thanks for caring Webmost, but it is an old shopping card (not a credit card) and not in use any more.
Just put more pectin and it is more gel looking.
@ Gdaddy I'll in the future some other glues, something I read was glue Bermocol.
Left the cigar in the attic today and dryer. One day more and I'll give it a try.

Jan.

ArizonaDave

Have a lot of questions, but one important is about my glue. It is still very liquid and didn't glue well on the moist wrapper. I tried it on paper before and after drying it glued ok, but that was maybe the paper absorbed the water.
What consistency should it be ? more like a gel ?

Jan.

Yes, gel.

There are 2 other glues to consider.
1) Gum Arabic- (sometimes sold as Acacia fiber)

Used in Opus X Cigars.
Needs very little water, and it's very sticky. You'll need a wet towel nearby for your hands or fingers. A small paint brush is best. It is an oily base. The plus side, it can be mixed with other flavors like nutmeg, Cinnamon, or other alcohols or oils.

2) Methyl Cellulose-

The Cigar industry standard. May be consumed in SMALL quantities. I wouldn't recommend in any chew. It forms a gel in the refrigerator, it's very hydrating to the leaf. Not a strong glue, but holds well enough for Cigars. Easy to work with!

3) Fruit Pectin, unsweetened-

It's best as a gel, but can be used diluted. The drawbacks to this glue, is that it WILL sour over time. It is a good starter glue. If you want the Cigars to stay in the humidor for a long time, I would suggest one of the first two.
I personally lost 3 pounds of great Cigar tobacco due to this glue going bad, it went rancid in a month or two in my humidor. Had to pull everything out, clean out the humidor, and let dry in the sun.

Hope this helps!

MarcL

I like this stuff. Gum Tragacanth, no bad smell or taste, a little goes a long way.

I'll take a half of teaspoon or so, to an once or so of distilled water and, bring it to a boil slowly in the microwave. stirring before and throughout boiling.

It only takes about 50 seconds or so.

I really need to make an exact recipe. I always just kinda mess with it.

This makes a thick paste that, I'll need to add a few drops of water to.

I'll cool it in the refrigerator before and after use.
It will thicken when cooled. and will thin out a little at room temperature.

And will need to ad water when it sits in the open air for too long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gum-Tragacanth-for-Gumpaste-and-Pastillage-2-oz-/230557002789

Status
Not open for further replies.