Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

American Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

This is my first attempt at blending. I was not satisfied with RYO "pipe" tobacco so I decided to study up and blend my own version. Out of pure laziness I used D&R Virginia blend and burley to mix with the whole leaf. I may catch some flac for this but like I said, I am lazy and don't want to be using my scissors till my hands are blistered. It is as follows. 2 parts redleaf and one part brightleaf cut up and added to an equal amount of the Virginia blend; the total Virginia portion being 60 % and the toasted burley portion is 30% along with 8% Izmir and 2% Prilep. It works for me and is very tasty. I may consider kilning in the future but this suffices for now.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You're not going to piss anyone off by sharing your experiences.

I feel your pain with the shredding. A proper shred has always been the biggest hurdle for anyone to overcome when processing cigarette tobacco.

I have 4 or 5 (I don't even know how many) economical manual shredders coming from a far and distant land (where things are produced inexpensively) and would like you to test one for evaluation.

Literally, years of attempts have gone into this product and I think it is finally right.

DonH

That's great news, Don! I never regretted for a second the money I spent on the Powermatic but the cost is a hurdle for people.

forumdotabaco

You're not going to piss anyone off by sharing your experiences.

I feel your pain with the shredding. A proper shred has always been the biggest hurdle for anyone to overcome when processing cigarette tobacco.

I have 4 or 5 (I don't even know how many) economical manual shredders coming from a far and distant land (where things are produced inexpensively) and would like you to test one for evaluation.

Literally, years of attempts have gone into this product and I think it is finally right.

hey FmGrowit when you can, please lets know more about those shredders, I'm Always looking for them also, do you belive they will be ready for stem shredding?

holyRYO

This is my first attempt at blending. I was not satisfied with RYO "pipe" tobacco so I decided to study up and blend my own version. Out of pure laziness I used D&R Virginia blend and burley to mix with the whole leaf. I may catch some flac for this but like I said, I am lazy and don't want to be using my scissors till my hands are blistered. It is as follows. 2 parts redleaf and one part brightleaf cut up and added to an equal amount of the Virginia blend; the total Virginia portion being 60 % and the toasted burley portion is 30% along with 8% Izmir and 2% Prilep. It works for me and is very tasty. I may consider kilning in the future but this suffices for now.

1. I think I have tried every burley and then some. Two Timer is my least favorite. Try some 5 Brothers, great stuff, shag cut, my favorite. What I blend with whole leaf, about the only pre cut tobacco I still buy and smoke regularly.

2. Yes scissors suck, what I use. If not a hobby, could never justify the time. Often think how many other projects I could be doing.

3. I prefer heavily toasted WLT Maryland over just about any Burley, besides the Bro's, in my cigarettes.

4. American Blend. Every tobacco is different, I always adjust to taste. My favorite American blend has no Burley and no Turkish. 3-4 parts WLT Red Flue Cured and 1 part toasted (300 F for 80 minutes) WLT Maryland.

driftinmark

Hi Smoker,

I tried most of D and R's offerings, ramback gold was one of the better ones..... the orientals are superb in that one....
I didnt care to much for windsail or some of the others, but the 3 sails rocked.....but heavily topped....but nice flavor none the less...

what I like about Dons baccy, is its raw, that a good aspect if you think about it....there is a lot you can do with it...case it top it....the best thing is you get to think like a manufacturer instead of just a consumer...

right now, I just got finished shredding a pound of baccy and I'm going to try one of the spray on toppings that Don offers....smells good so far!!

I smoke a lighter cigarette than most, the flue cure first priming's 60%, mixed with about 8-10 % un-toasted burley with about 30 percent of a 50-50 mix of Izmir and prilep, turned out to be a great light smoke!!
far better than you can buy pre- made and still far better than most blended pipe tobaccos, well , make that all, I haven't found a pre -made mix that can compete at all....

as far as shredding I have been using a 30 dollar pasta maker for 3 years, it takes a lot of work, but its better than scissors, lol.....as soon as I see one on Don's site I will get one....

smoker

1. I think I have tried every burley and then some. Two Timer is my least favorite. Try some 5 Brothers, great stuff, shag cut, my favorite. What I blend with whole leaf, about the only pre cut tobacco I still buy and smoke regularly.

I will have to try some. The Two-Timer does'nt seem to have that much nicoteen and the Platinum Virginia blend is somewhat weak too.

DGBAMA

For adding some kick to those lighter blends without being harsh, try adding some of Don's dark air cured.

forumdotabaco

I don't believe there is a shredder made to shred the stems. You'll get a much better finished product if you remove the stem anyway.

mine is ready, I believe tek 2 are also, I need the stems, is the way I control the burning rate.
are they rollers machines? or with blades?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Sorry, I do not know of any shredder made for person/hobby use that is designed to shred the stem. I'm sure on e of the industrial shredders will do the job, but the cost would be in the thousands of dollars if not more.

forumdotabaco

Sorry, I do not know of any shredder made for person/hobby use that is designed to shred the stem. I'm sure on e of the industrial shredders will do the job, but the cost would be in the thousands of dollars if not more.

80 Euro with shipment, its about 70 years or 80 old

smoker

I tried the Five brothers Burley and I like it much better.I was very surprised. 1 part redleaf and two parts packaged Virginia mixer with 1 1/2 parts of that burley and some Izmir/Prilep makes a vey nice smoke! It is fine cut but so is the mixer. I'll have to try to cut the wholeleaf as fine as possible next time to make blending easier. It is only as thick as a hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.