Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New grower from Eastern Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old#12

Happy to get started with you guys. Started with about 50 Conn Broadleaf plants I started from seed. I have about 40 strong ones approaching maturing. Looking for info on curing them in this hot dry climate.

skychaser

Man, I feel way older than a #7 or #12. Closer to #7 x #12 today. heh

Welcome Old#12

I'm in Eastern WA a few miles NE of Spokane. I might be able to help you out with some of the issues we have in this area. Gimme a shout if you have any q's

Sky

Last edited:

CT Tobaccoman

Happy to get started with you guys. Started with about 50 Conn Broadleaf plants I started from seed. I have about 40 strong ones approaching maturing. Looking for info on curing them in this hot dry climate.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a great wealth of knowledge here.

Being familiar with CT Broadleaf in the Conn Valley, which can often be hot and dry, Broadleaf seems to cure by itself. Just be sure to cut the whole plant and hang the whole plant upside down. Don't pick the leaves. The only time that I have seen problems curing Broadleaf is during damp rainy weeks in the fall, when it sometimes becomes necessary to fire broadleaf sheds to drive out the excess moisture. You should be OK

CT

Old#12

Thanks CT. I suspected there would be some similarities in climate. My concern was that it might be too dry to cure without some kind of humidification. We'll see how it goes

Old#12

Not sure which old#7 you're talking about. If you're talking about the whiskey I'm not related but it kicked my tail a time or two

CT Tobaccoman

Old#12

The broadleaf should change gradually, lower leaves first, from green to pale green-lime, to yellow to orange to brown. If leaves start to become dry while they are still green, that would be a problem. Usually broadleaf cures easily, since there is a lot of moisture in the stalk, and that keeps the leaves from drying too fast. When will you be starting to cure them?

CT

Old#12

Thanks CT. Started last Friday. Wish I has waited until today. I was gone over the weekend. I think rh dipped below 60 for a day. How long should it take for the leaves to get to final color? I have about 25-30% to yellow already

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks CT. Started last Friday. Wish I has waited until today. I was gone over the weekend. I think rh dipped below 60 for a day. How long should it take for the leaves to get to final color? I have about 25-30% to yellow already

Dropping below 60% won't hurt you unless it's for several days and nights. It's the average humidity over a period of days (and nights) that you have to watch. This gives you a chance to plan how to compensate if you watch your forecasts. Mine gets down in the upper 50% during the day, but up to around 80% at night, that's great curing weather cause the average is around 70%. Temps and air movement also have an effect.

Old#12

It's been hotter than blazes here. Temps 90-102 with humidity in mid teens so I have to supplement. Also had to be concerned about late day sun but I think I'm on track now thanks for good info

CT Tobaccoman

Old#12,

Sounds like the broadleaf is beginning to cure well. Don't worry about day to day weather--as long as the hot and dry weather doesn't last for over a couple weeks it shouldn't be a problem for you. There is a lot of moisture in the stalk that works out through the leaves. Broadleaf cure easily. The only problems I have ever seen in Conn is when it rains for 2 weeks straight in September so broadleaf growers have to make charcoal briquet fires in the curing sheds to avoid pole sweat and excessive dampness. That only happens once in 10 years. Hot and dry weather will be fine.

In Conn, the summer is just about over when broadleaf is cut and cures in late August and September. Around here that season will always have rain, days in the 70s and nights in the 50s. I have never heard of broadleaf curing too fast and remaining greenish.

It will take 6 weeks, give or take. Be patient, all sounds well. Keep us informed.

CT

Status
Not open for further replies.