Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quick ref. for wind chill conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
No, this isn't tobacco related, but considering it's colder in parts of Florida than it is in parts of Alaska today, I thought this might be a good quick reference for those wanting to calculate "how cold it feels" compared to Wind chill/ air temp.

wind chill.png

wind chill2.png
Or for those Mathematically inclined

T(wc) = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75(V[SUP]0.16[/SUP]) + 0.4275T(V[SUP]0.16[/SUP])

where T(wc) is the Wind Chill in degrees F, V is the Wind Speed in MPH, and T is the temperature in degrees F.

Have fun, stay warm and smoke some good 'baccy

Last edited:

webmost

Wind chill's gotta be one of the phoniest stats devised.
First place, it's based on surveys which ask "How's it feel with your shirt off?"
Second place, don't take your damn shirt off, idjut.

The only purpose of wind chill is to make it sound colder than it is. Hey, it's cold enough I wish the wind would die down, is all I know...

brutal.

Round my house, we're looking forward to the next season of Deadliest Catch.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You would not believe the number of arguments I've had with people trying to tell them that just because the windchill is 25F doesn't mean that water freezes!

BarG

Founding Member
When you work in 30-40 degree weather and a steady 10-20 mile wind for 8-10 hrs, it matters.Wind chill on a sheltered side with sun aint shit. That is rarely the case. Low temps cause ice not wind.A wind can rob a person of heat, therefore it feels like?. A bridge freezes over because it gets the cold temps both sides, It freezes right to the middle.Heh heh
My best suggestion is dress for the weather, right now very :cool:.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Indeed. Right now at my office we are working with a lot of municipalities working on deicing trucks, it can be 32*F out, but if the wind is X*F cold, the trucks "could" freeze, or the brine they are applying might not be as effective as another mix/product.

Smokin Harley

No, this isn't tobacco related, but considering it's colder in parts of Florida than it is in parts of Alaska today, I thought this might be a good quick reference for those wanting to calculate "how cold it feels" compared to Wind chill/ air temp.

View attachment 13552

View attachment 13553
Or for those Mathematically inclined

T(wc) = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75(V[SUP]0.16[/SUP]) + 0.4275T(V[SUP]0.16[/SUP])

where T(wc) is the Wind Chill in degrees F, V is the Wind Speed in MPH, and T is the temperature in degrees F.

Have fun, stay warm and smoke some good 'baccy

I've seen this very chart before. I copied this out and laminated it .My wife and I ride the Harley and she always wants to know how cold its going to be and how many layers of clothing to bring along. Very helpful.

BarG

Founding Member
My actual chart is much less soffisticated..

Above 30 is colder than a witches tit. @windspeed 5mph-20mph

20-30 is way colder than a witches tit. @windspeed 5mph-20mph

Below 20 to 0 is a frostbitten witches tit. @windspeed 5mph-20mph

LewZephyr

When people complain about it being cold in the house, I tell them to go outside without a coat. It feels a lot warmer when they come back in.

I agree that's how I feel about it.

I would rather the air be cold, because you can always put something more on.
If its hot, you can only take off so much before you become creepy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The usefulness of wind chill is as a measure of how rapidly exposed skin will lose heat. With insulation layers appropriate for the actual temperature, plus a wind blocking layer (like a Nylon shell jacket and Nylon overpants), the wind speed has no effect on how cold you get--except for your exposed skin. The purpose of the deep hood and fox fur rim of an arctic parka is to kill the wind that would otherwise chill an exposed face.

Regardless of the wind chill, no object can get colder than ambient temperature, unless it is wet, in which case, evaporative cooling can drop the surface temperature below the ambient temp, until the surface becomes dry (or frozen).

Bob

Smokin Harley

heres how the outside temp should be measured, similar to the wet bulb method...the frisbee test... send the wife outside for 5 minutes with a wet t-shirt...when she comes back in if you can hang a frisbee on her front , stay inside and figure out a way to warm up. Its just that simple...youre welcome.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Tried your method, Smokin. Didn't turn out as you stated. What's your address from the urgent care bill I received? I'm not sure how well I could have glued my face back on, had to use some stitches...;)

Smokin Harley

Tried your method, Smokin. Didn't turn out as you stated. What's your address from the urgent care bill I received? I'm not sure how well I could have glued my face back on, had to use some stitches...;)

Apparently you were doing it wrong. in that case. DONT TRY IT AT HOME...

ArizonaDave

Wind chill's gotta be one of the phoniest stats devised.
First place, it's based on surveys which ask "How's it feel with your shirt off?"
Second place, don't take your damn shirt off, idjut.

The only purpose of wind chill is to make it sound colder than it is. Hey, it's cold enough I wish the wind would die down, is all I know...

brutal.

Round my house, we're looking forward to the next season of Deadliest Catch.

Ha ha! That's actually more helpful out West or in a dry vs. wet environment. Not much help in "always humid" states. I'd have to agree with you on the shirt test.

I'll give you an example. I grew up in Florida, hot and muggy all the time. Went to College in Iowa, and Christmas break went back home. Iowa had snow drifts at the time up to 6 ft.. Florida was wet, windy, and rainy at 42*F. I was more cold in Florida than I was in Iowa, and never got wet, nor went outside.
I didn't try the "no shirt" test, but I'd have to say I was colder in Florida than I was in Iowa.

Sometime cold and dry can mean absence of heat. Body temp. here in AZ can rapidly drop if not properly dressed in layers. Almost had sunstroke here when I first moved to AZ. The 105*F temp felt cooler than FL 98*, but didn't know sweat "evaporated" here, hurting the body's way of cooling down.

Well, over the years, I've been blessed to have been in 48 states, Canada, and many places over seas. They all differ, and have different contributing factors.

Bottom line, Webmost, you hit the nail on the head. Common sense (not so common anymore) tells people "don't be stupid". If you're cold, get warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.