Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Soil testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

I'm being quoted $60-$70 for a soil test plus taxes. What is everyone else paying ??
is it worth it ?

Here is what I get:

A basic garden test is $60 . For that you receive pH, salt check, lime requirement, Total Organic Matter, Total Nitrogen, And Available Calcium , Magnesium, Potassium and phosphorus, and general recommendation for highs and lows of each nutrient. It is beneficial if you can provide the actual use , veggie garden versus planter beds, and type of fertilizing you wish to do, fertilizers versus organics.

The detailed garden test for veggie gardens that include cauliflowers, brocc or cabbage, is $70 which gives you the basic package plus copper, zinc, iron, manganese and boron.

We need about a pound of soil that has been taken from the top 6 inches of your garden area, and is a composite of 8 to 10 sites in that garden.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I pay $25.00 for the same thing but with out the "recommendations". See if they will cost out the test without recommendations. You do not need them.

bonehead

does a college in your area do soil tests. i know in ct. ucon does soil tests and it depends what you have tested. some places don't accept soil from other far away locations because of inscects and diseases. i would check with colleges on the internet in your area.

lawnphysics

University of Kentucky does all our soil tests. I forgot the price last year, I think it was $6-$10 per sample, plus shipping. They may take my samples because I am a neighboring state. I am not sure of their policy on international soils. They will email you the results if you request them. Here is some general information.

http://soils.rs.uky.edu/personnel.php

bonehead

i think the restrictions are for certain areas because of insects like fire ants and emerald ash borers ece,ect,ect. kind of like deer carcases from certain states have to be boned out to bring them to some states because of cwd disease.

Cigar

glad this post was started..was thinking sending soil sample to UT..but forget that will just buy cheap test kit at wal-mart or something and trust that.

Cigar

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The Farmer's Co-op in our area will do a tobacco specific test for $10.00, including recommendations for what you need to add to your soil to grow tobacco.

lawnphysics

i think the restrictions are for certain areas because of insects like fire ants and emerald ash borers ece,ect,ect. kind of like deer carcases from certain states have to be boned out to bring them to some states because of cwd disease.

Agreed. That is the exact reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.