Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Serious Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpa

"I think we can all agree that for the most part, as a whole, we have harmed the planet."

What has happened to our confidence? What happened to pride in our accomplishments? In our selves? Not so long ago, I imagine, a man would look at all the swamps we have drained and say "We quelled malaria, the number one killer in America." Because it was, once, number one. Today he is choked with nostalgia for some imagined pre-industrial idyll. Perhaps he might wonder, back then: "Shall we thaw the Arctic next? What a wonderful resource for a populous planet that would be!" Today, thaw is a global apocalypse to be averted at any cost. Then it was "... we have changed the planet." Now it's "... we have harmed the planet.
"

What's the alternative? Africa? Plenty of malaria there, if you pick your spot. Take up reindeer herding among the Samoyed? Would that be that preferable? Have we harmed the planet by irrigating deserts and draining swamps, tilling plains and felling forests, ... or have we instead changed it to suit? What about Progress with a Big P?

Admittedly, we are too many. No, there is no remedy but catastrophe.
But at the same time...

What happened? How did we all come to agree we are bad bad people?

I think there is a deep misanthropic root to modern liberalism.

Wow. Look up Dust Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

webmost

Wow. Look up Dust Bowl.

Is that the only thing ever happened, Grumpa? Is that what has happened "... for the most part, as a whole..."? Nothing better than that?

How about this way of looking at it then: If all we do is screw the pooch, then what are we doing trying to control climate? What magic predicts we would not screw that pooch as well?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is exactly why we don't talk about global warming here. Global warming has absolutely nothing to do with science...it's ALL politics. We don't talk politics on the forum, so the next person to bring up global warming or any of its aliases, will have to stand with their nose in a circle on the chalkboard 2" higher than he can reach flat footed (thank you Sister Mary Williams for teaching me that one).

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.