Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

No more Piloto Cubano

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIM

With piloto indefinitely backordered is there another good substitute? I was falling in love with this leaf so I'm hoping theres something that can fill its place. I hope to see it back in stock again someday.

ArizonaDave

With piloto indefinitely backordered is there another good substitute? I was falling in love with this leaf so I'm hoping theres something that can fill its place. I hope to see it back in stock again someday.

Well, it's not the same, but I love the Prelep in a mix. It's sweet and aromatic.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

The Corojo is fairly close for me.

Raodwarior

Never used prelip so there I have no comment, but IMO corojo is no where close to the profile of piloto cubano, although it does make for a great blend.

HIM

The blend Ive been rolling most of is actually piloto and corojo, which personally I do think are quite different. Regardless though I'd still need another sub that wasn't corojo.

Dave how would you describe the sweetness and aroma of prilep? Does it work well for getting those creamy notes like piloto? And most importantly does it still taste like a cigar seeing as how thats a cigarette tobacco?

webmost

The blend Ive been rolling most of is actually piloto and corojo, which personally I do think are quite different. Regardless though I'd still need another sub that wasn't corojo.

Dave how would you describe the sweetness and aroma of prilep? Does it work well for getting those creamy notes like piloto? And most importantly does it still taste like a cigar seeing as how thats a cigarette tobacco?

I stuck prilep in with half criollo, half corojo, bound in sumatra, wrapped in habano. I would offer to send you some of these perfectos; but I'm not sure there are any left. I'd have to get home and search the box to make sure. It does sweeten the mix; but just as you surmise, there is a cigarette note to it. Not the same as piloto. It just takes two or three leaves to sweeten a stick (these leaves are super tiny -- maybe three inches long). What I liked best was swapping out the sumatra for dixe shade. Sweet and smooth both.

I'll try to remember to look for some for you when I get home.

ArizonaDave

Never used prelip so there I have no comment, but IMO corojo is no where close to the profile of piloto cubano, although it does make for a great blend.

The Piloto Cubano is my favorite Seco. It also burns the best, and smoothes out a blend in a way that no other Seco does. WLT has some fantastic rich, but sometimes heavier tobaccos, and it's impossible to "Smooth out" blends with the other Secos.

I totally agree with Roadwarrior. Corojo isn't the same. Don't get me wrong, Corojo is a great filler, it's just not the same.

webmost

I stuck prilep in with half criollo, half corojo, bound in sumatra, wrapped in habano. I would offer to send you some of these perfectos; but I'm not sure there are any left. I'd have to get home and search the box to make sure. It does sweeten the mix; but just as you surmise, there is a cigarette note to it. Not the same as piloto. It just takes two or three leaves to sweeten a stick (these leaves are super tiny -- maybe three inches long). What I liked best was swapping out the sumatra for dixe shade. Sweet and smooth both.

I'll try to remember to look for some for you when I get home.

Have a few left... Not my best. They got a bit dried out in their box, I dunno how. Re-hydrating now. Send me your address, I'll shoot you some.

ArizonaDave

That Dixie Shade was special~! I got 2 leaves from BarG too. I picked up a mild spice note. The prelep is definitely a plus when out of the Piloto Cubano.

HIM

I guess I'm going to have to come up with a new blend. While the prilep definitely sounds interesting Im not into the idea of my cigar having any cigarette character. I hope to see the piloto back in stock some day. Im sad to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.