Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Single variety or multiple blends for cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Steve2md, The plant second from the left was the first plant in the ground last yr. and the last one harvested[finaly topped out in sept. or october]. The leaves were paper thin. The armadillos kept digging up my seedlings and had to replant most plants in this shaded location more than once. These plants grew taller than full sun plantings. [severe drought] All the full sun plants were much thicker leaves aquiring a gator skin texture, I'm guessing since I can still see some green grass this pic was taken around mid to late June. By mid august everything around was turning brown.
attachment.php

Tom_in_TN

BarG, that is one impressive looking 'curing barn' you've built. So, every day all you have to do is step out the front door, pick out the leaf you wanna roll into a cigar and then go plant some more 'smokes' for yourself and some 'greens' for your nicotine addicted armadillos? Whatta life.

Thanks for passing on some of those Guatemalan seed. I have a bunch of seedlings started, 2 waves. They seem to be a little slow to develop, for me anyways. I know you were in a drought season last year but how far apart do those plants need to be spaced? And, should some be planted in a partial shade location? Thanks for any help.

Tom TN

BarG

Founding Member
BarG, that is one impressive looking 'curing barn' you've built. So, every day all you have to do is step out the front door, pick out the leaf you wanna roll into a cigar and then go plant some more 'smokes' for yourself and some 'greens' for your nicotine addicted armadillos? Whatta life.

Thanks for passing on some of those Guatemalan seed. I have a bunch of seedlings started, 2 waves. They seem to be a little slow to develop, for me anyways. I know you were in a drought season last year but how far apart do those plants need to be spaced? And, should some be planted in a partial shade location? Thanks for any help.

Tom TN

Tom, I could have sworn those were the MC seeds. Deluxes's opinion was MCY, Jitterbugdude is referring to them as MCX. I planted 2' spacing in rows 3' apart last yr. The plants that did well seemed to do realy well but This was my first real attempt so I'm probably not the best judge. Yea my armadillos are getting addicted to their nic. fix.:)

BarG

Steve2md

great shot bar. i am excited to roll a cigar with the baccy you sent. maybe after the kids are in bed.......

BarG

Founding Member
Tom_in_Tn, Are the havana 425 similar to Havana 142? I haven't been able to learn much about the havana 425 other than scientific exp. with cloning. I was wondering if its good for cig. and cigar, maybe binder wrappers like the 142.

Steve2md

eff me! I used a slice of that fire cured in a cigar tonight, along with the havana and some brightleaf I got from BigBonner....wrapped it with that wrapper you sent me....put the thing out to dry for tonight, jammed the stub I cut from it in a pipe.....wow, amazing brother, and I mean that in the fraternal sense. off subject "are you a traveling man?"

BarG

Founding Member
eff me! I used a slice of that fire cured in a cigar tonight, along with the havana and some brightleaf I got from BigBonner....wrapped it with that wrapper you sent me....put the thing out to dry for tonight, jammed the stub I cut from it in a pipe.....wow, amazing brother, and I mean that in the fraternal sense. off subject "are you a traveling man?"

I love to travel when I can. I have lived in a 120 mile radius all my life.:)

Tim

Tom_in_TN

Tom_in_Tn, Are the havana 425 similar to Havana 142? I haven't been able to learn much about the havana 425 other than scientific exp. with cloning. I was wondering if its good for cig. and cigar, maybe binder wrappers like the 142.
From all the research I have found, which is not a lot, indicates the 142 and 425 are used as binders. No other indication of flavor, but OldVermonter said the 425 was, and I quote, "Vary good."

JBD, you are making that Huehuetenango Puro sound very, very tempting. So, it's all Huehuetenango for filler, binder and wrapper? How is that cured? AC, FC or in the kiln for 30 days?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Tom, Yes it was all the same leaf. It was kilned last fall for 30 days. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle too much if a description for a certain tobacco say its used for filler, or binder etc. Just grab some different tobaccos and experiment. I think there have been quite a few of us here that recently discovered Burley is pretty good in a cigar. I don't think you'll ever see Burley listed as a "filler" for cigars in the conventional literature. Along the way you'll probably find that some tobaccos are more suited for a filler as opposed to a binder or wrapper. Last year I grew some Maryland 609 because I had obtained some leaf the year before and was impressed at how incredibly thin it was. I was thinking it would make a great wrapper. The problem was that it made a lousy wrapper because even though the leaf was thin, the veins were way too thick.

Randy B

BarG

Founding Member
Tom, Yes it was all the same leaf. It was kilned last fall for 30 days. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle too much if a description for a certain tobacco say its used for filler, or binder etc. Just grab some different tobaccos and experiment. I think there have been quite a few of us here that recently discovered Burley is pretty good in a cigar. I don't think you'll ever see Burley listed as a "filler" for cigars in the conventional literature. Along the way you'll probably find that some tobaccos are more suited for a filler as opposed to a binder or wrapper. Last year I grew some Maryland 609 because I had obtained some leaf the year before and was impressed at how incredibly thin it was. I was thinking it would make a great wrapper. The problem was that it made a lousy wrapper because even though the leaf was thin, the veins were way too thick.

Randy B

As a beginner cigar roller I have to agree with JBD on the thinner veins make rolling easier, especialy with no glue. I have been separating between veins for smaller stogies if I don't want to break out my best wrappers. For instance the sun grown ct. shade leaf is very large and by separating between the veins you can still get a1 1/2"x 6-8" wrapper for a smoke unlike any cigarette..

jailhouse

Thats a cool little hot house you made jailhouse. How many seed flats does it hold. Thats my ambition for next year.

idk how many trays it can hold its not that big.probaly 3 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide it could have been alot better but i just made it real fast so i could get my plants going

BarG

Founding Member
I'm glad I got my Huehuetenago going again after the fungus slugs killed my first tray. They make a realy good filler all by there self. I came in from work and rolled a 5" x 1/2" cigar with the hht and havana142 wrapper and only had to relight once or twice cause I was busy while smokin over the last hour, smoked it till I couldn't hold it any longer. I have a few of the VG. flue cured tops I believe from a mix 2-3 lb. order from FmGrowit months ago. The lower to middle leaves are great for cigs, but the tops are getting blended with my cigars because they are a little rough in a cigarette.. They seem to be a bit milder smoked in a cigar mix which is fine because they actualy mellow it out a bit for the way I smoke them.

Status
Not open for further replies.