Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Entubado Layer Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

I had this weird moment of inspiration or insanity yesterday when I was bunching something.

My filler was 2 seco, 1 viso. I generally try to construct my stick, as does anyone, so it'll burn as well as possible, given the leaves at hand. This viso just seemed so rubbery and unburny.

So what I did was, I rolled each half-leaf of viso inside a half-leaf of the second-driest-feeling seco, then laid those into the middle, between the driest secos.

I've never seen that done before. Maybe because it's stupid and won't work. But the bunches drew just fine.

Smoke test in a week or two.

------

Another thing I do, after I get a blend that I like, I bunch five of those, wrap four in different wrappers, and the fifth I leave unwrapped and just smoke the bunch, which I let age/condition as long as the wrapped ones, to get a better handle on what the wrappers are bringing and how this varies with different gauge vitolas. I rate things and keep notes in a spreadsheet.

charlie G.

There is nothing stupid in trying different techniques. You may develop a new rolling system. I bet it's been done before at some time also.
One thing you may try is to bring up the case in the rubbery seco leaf till you can spread and flatten the leaf out smooth and flat then let the leaf dry to lower the case back to burnable. Then try the book method of bunching.
You can also cut the seco into thinner strips that will burn easier then a half or whole leaf. Great idea keeping notes on tobacco types.

waikikigun

All right, thanks for the ideas. I will try them.

There is nothing stupid in trying different techniques. You may develop a new rolling system. I bet it's been done before at some time also.
One thing you may try is to bring up the case in the rubbery seco leaf till you can spread and flatten the leaf out smooth and flat then let the leaf dry to lower the case back to burnable. Then try the book method of bunching.
You can also cut the seco into thinner strips that will burn easier then a half or whole leaf. Great idea keeping notes on tobacco types.

Smokin Harley

I had this weird moment of inspiration or insanity yesterday when I was bunching something.

My filler was 2 seco, 1 viso. I generally try to construct my stick, as does anyone, so it'll burn as well as possible, given the leaves at hand. This viso just seemed so rubbery and unburny.

So what I did was, I rolled each half-leaf of viso inside a half-leaf of the second-driest-feeling seco, then laid those into the middle, between the driest secos.

I've never seen that done before. Maybe because it's stupid and won't work. But the bunches drew just fine.

Smoke test in a week or two.

------

Another thing I do, after I get a blend that I like, I bunch five of those, wrap four in different wrappers, and the fifth I leave unwrapped and just smoke the bunch, which I let age/condition as long as the wrapped ones, to get a better handle on what the wrappers are bringing and how this varies with different gauge vitolas. I rate things and keep notes in a spreadsheet.

Nothing wrong with that idea. In fact I rolled a few for a buddy of mine that was getting married , did enough for him and his wedding party as a gift. I of course rolled a couple extra for yours truly and since I like a fatter cigar I took the same recipe/blend as his ...doubled the amount of leaves keeping the same proportionate blend, tore the bottom part of the bunch and laid it pretty much on top of the main bunch resulting in something similar to what you described. I smoked it a month later...amazing . Very tasty 64 ring,and an incredibly cool smoke . Not only that , the Ecuador Maduro wrapper had turned oily in the spanish cedar box I stored it in, had a nice sheen and feel to it .Burn edge wasn't razor edge straight but very sharp. I can't even begin to describe the complexity it had but the oilyness, the cocoa notes and the finish I don't think I could buy without tipping double digit dollars per stick.

waikikigun

Was that the Ecuador maduro currently available at WLT?

Why not share the rest of that recipe? :D

Was that box humidity-controlled in any fashion, or just as-is?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with that idea. In fact I rolled a few for a buddy of mine that was getting married , did enough for him and his wedding party as a gift. I of course rolled a couple extra for yours truly and since I like a fatter cigar I took the same recipe/blend as his ...doubled the amount of leaves keeping the same proportionate blend, tore the bottom part of the bunch and laid it pretty much on top of the main bunch resulting in something similar to what you described. I smoked it a month later...amazing . Very tasty 64 ring,and an incredibly cool smoke . Not only that , the Ecuador Maduro wrapper had turned oily in the spanish cedar box I stored it in, had a nice sheen and feel to it .Burn edge wasn't razor edge straight but very sharp. I can't even begin to describe the complexity it had but the oilyness, the cocoa notes and the finish I don't think I could buy without tipping double digit dollars per stick.

Smokin Harley

It was and unless it sold out , still is. I had gone in partway on a sale with another member back a couple months .
I had shared the recipe ...it was back at the beginning of July ,but I can't find it so here goes again.

1/2 Mata Fina
1 Piloto Cubano
1 Nic Habano seco
1 Nic Habano viso
dbl Dom binder
Ecuador Maduro wrapper

box it rested in was not humidified, just a nice clean spanish cedar cigar box I keep to rest a few sticks .

waikikigun

Thanks very much.

It was and unless it sold out , still is. I had gone in partway on a sale with another member back a couple months .
I had shared the recipe ...it was back at the beginning of July ,but I can't find it so here goes again.

1/2 Mata Fina
1 Piloto Cubano
1 Nic Habano seco
1 Nic Habano viso
dbl Dom binder
Ecuador Maduro wrapper

box it rested in was not humidified, just a nice clean spanish cedar cigar box I keep to rest a few sticks .

Status
Not open for further replies.