Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Super pumped, ready to learn from Chicago, IL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on! I just rolled my first handful of cigars over the course of a few weeks. I have so so so SO much to learn about even simple things like, how to first store and treat the leaves, how long to let it sit for each step, etc etc. I love it all though. Half of my garage workbench is dedicated to rolling. :) Great time to take a little chunk of the day out to get in the zone and appreciate these even more. I humbly thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions on getting the most of the experience!

Rickey60

Welcome to the forum! We have lots of cigar smokers here, they will have you rolling like a pro. Glad you joined us Robb.
Rick

Wow, thank you all so much for the warm greetings! This is really incredible. Alright, time for me to browse. Starting with what you need to do with the leaves when they first ship in! (besides soaking in makers mark as I did the last few. :p)

Smokin Harley

Do what you like but with learning how to blend with whole leaf tobacco and by that i mean WLT tobacco, I would suggest not soaking them in anything just yet...Do that stuff to the store bought stogies that have no taste . You'll be rolling way better than you can buy , trust me. Since I started rolling ,I haven't bought one in a year. I've had some given to me ,but they usually fall a little flat. Plus , that Makers Mark belongs in a short glass along with a cigar...neat.
Find the post folder marked "members blends" and start there . Watch as many of the rolling videos as you can, I like the ones made right in the real tabacalarias by real torcedors . Those people roll day in and day out and have a "groove" they get into . You only need a couple simple tools to roll. You can use anything from a pizza cutter , a kulu like some have or a chaveta . Cut the foot with scissors, cable cutters, or a tuck cutter or its ok if you want to leave it as a shaggy foot , why waste any. Get the feel for rolling first so you get a nicely constructed stick that draws well . Nevermind appearance for now., we'll get to that later. Roll one, only one. Don't put wrap it until you get one that draws well with no soft spots or hard spots. Then lets talk about blending...You need that stick to burn right so you need varieties that will do that for you. You need the varieties to play nice together so you get good flavor too. Try your hand at applying a wrapper so it doesn't rip or wrinkle. Working the head of the cigar...pigtail it if you can't get a cap right right away. Pigtails look cool anyway. I still have trouble with a cap but I'm improving, theres a feel to it . When you get it right , you'll know it right away.
Get to rolling, post pics of what you've done and don't ever be afraid to ask anything. We all have been where you are . I've learned a ton of stuff in here . These guys are all top notch and willing to help. Don't be surprised if you become addicted ....and by the way ,I'm not exactly sure where you are in Wheaton or have the yard space but tobacco grows very nicely in Will County. I'm just down in Joliet , so I'm not far if you need a look at what I'm doing.

TravisNTexas

Welcome to the forum! Check out the videos in the cigar rolling portion of the forum while you are browsing around. Lot's of great info here.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a single piece of advice for a novice cigar roller. Roll one; smoke one.

Ignore all the talk about resting the cigar for days or months, until you've acquired the skill to roll a smokable cigar. Don't roll batches. Roll one; smoke one. The immediate feedback is not about the hedonistic joy of smoking, but rather is the key to quickly learning how to roll a cigar that smokes. The appearance of the cigar should not be a consideration, until you can roll a cigar that smokes. Do post pics of your first attempts. Plan on proudly giving away a cigar only after you've rolled 100.

Caps and blending and resting and contemplating the artistry can wait.

Immediate feedback is just a fact of acquiring a new motor skill. Roll one; smoke one.

Bob

webmost

Rob, deluxestogie is the most sapient sachem and grandest guru this board affords.
Heed the man.

TravisNTexas

Ignore all the talk about resting the cigar for days or months, until you've acquired the skill to roll a smokable cigar. Don't roll batches. Roll one; smoke one. The immediate feedback is not about the hedonistic joy of smoking, but rather is the key to quickly learning how to roll a cigar that smokes. The appearance of the cigar should not be a consideration, until you can roll a cigar that smokes. Do post pics of your first attempts. Plan on proudly giving away a cigar only after you've rolled 100.

Immediate feedback is just a fact of acquiring a new motor skill. Roll one; smoke one.

Bob

That sounds like very sound advice to me, and despite all I have read over the last month or two that is the first time I have heard it. I'm planning to get started learning in the next day or two, and am glad I ran across this! Thanks Bob.

Do what you like but with learning how to blend with whole leaf tobacco and by that i mean WLT tobacco, I would suggest not soaking them in anything just yet...Do that stuff to the store bought stogies that have no taste . You'll be rolling way better than you can buy , trust me. Since I started rolling ,I haven't bought one in a year. I've had some given to me ,but they usually fall a little flat. Plus , that Makers Mark belongs in a short glass along with a cigar...neat.
Find the post folder marked "members blends" and start there . Watch as many of the rolling videos as you can, I like the ones made right in the real tabacalarias by real torcedors . Those people roll day in and day out and have a "groove" they get into . You only need a couple simple tools to roll. You can use anything from a pizza cutter , a kulu like some have or a chaveta . Cut the foot with scissors, cable cutters, or a tuck cutter or its ok if you want to leave it as a shaggy foot , why waste any. Get the feel for rolling first so you get a nicely constructed stick that draws well . Nevermind appearance for now., we'll get to that later. Roll one, only one. Don't put wrap it until you get one that draws well with no soft spots or hard spots. Then lets talk about blending...You need that stick to burn right so you need varieties that will do that for you. You need the varieties to play nice together so you get good flavor too. Try your hand at applying a wrapper so it doesn't rip or wrinkle. Working the head of the cigar...pigtail it if you can't get a cap right right away. Pigtails look cool anyway. I still have trouble with a cap but I'm improving, theres a feel to it . When you get it right , you'll know it right away.
Get to rolling, post pics of what you've done and don't ever be afraid to ask anything. We all have been where you are . I've learned a ton of stuff in here . These guys are all top notch and willing to help. Don't be surprised if you become addicted ....and by the way ,I'm not exactly sure where you are in Wheaton or have the yard space but tobacco grows very nicely in Will County. I'm just down in Joliet , so I'm not far if you need a look at what I'm doing.

Oh awesome!! This is all incredible stuff! I don't have a lot of yardage space...I have a garden already taking up what I can actually grow. :) That would be awesome to see your space sometime! I'll get after it with checking out as many videos as possible. So so so so much to figure out and learn! Love it.

Bob

Thank you so much Bob! I dig it. I'll try to post one up here when I get after it again. I've rolled a few. And yes, they really don't draw well at all. I'm sure I need to find that sweet spot of not too tight but not falling apart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.