Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help!!!! Mixed up my tray unknown 3 plants now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doogie

I planted more seed today, in a 72 count tray with 6 different strains. As I took a tray out to water it I put it back and forgot which side was what. I think I may have got it the same but I have no clueimage.jpg its spots 4,5,6 which are mixed up possibly. In the trays I have. #4 Yellow Twist Bud#5 Connecticut Broadleaf
#6 Havana Long Leaf

If I didn't get it in the right position, is it going to be hard to tell the diffranec from a young plant? I figured Havana may have longer pointer leaves?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I label my whole tray with a paint pen...and use a pump up sprayer. To water with..so I don't encounter that problem.

Doogie

Thanks both great ideas last year I didn't label them, this year I labeled them so I wouldn't mess it up. But I still managed to lol thanks Murphy's law wins again!

I guess I won't be able to tell the diffranec in the Juvenal plants, was growing them in different locations

squeezyjohn

I did this last year ... so frustrating! But the good folks on this forum helped me identify which was which later on when I posted up some photos - so it's not impossible if you ask for help.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I assign a number to each strain and go that way, I also map the plot. As to seed starting, I also use those 72 cell trays, I scratch the number into the rows in the plastic before I put seeds in.

Depending on your strains you might identify them during the grow or after processed, they all taste pretty different whether smoked or chewed.

Ben Brand

Just accept the mix up. Happened to me the first year. Neighbours cat tried to poo in my trays, knocked them down, all my labels fell out. Just smoked them as mixed.
The worse thing the cat end up staying with me, neighbours moved and just left him. Adopted him, still have the old boy.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My tray inserts (48 cells per tray) are perforated to allow separation into 4 cells per mini tray. The most reliable way to prevent confusing the varieties is to observe the following:

• always, only a single variety goes into any mini tray--so all varieties are apportioned in increments of 4 plants in my situation
  • each mini tray is directly labeled--I use one wood craft stick (Popsicle stick) marked with a Sharpie marker in each mini tray
The number of cells per full tray or per mini tray does not matter, so long as each divisible tray is directly labeled. By doing this, mini trays can be removed, shifted, rotated and otherwise mixed up, while maintaining the labeling. Growing tobacco is labor intensive. This small precaution can save a lot of frustration.

after the fact: As squeezyjohn points out, identifying the varieties, once the plants have acquired some size, is sometimes possible, especially if they are distinctive varieties. Unfortunately, if you mix up four different burley varieties or four different Basma Orientals, for example, it's usually not possible to clearly distinguish them by appearance.

Bob

ArizonaDave

My tray inserts (48 cells per tray) are perforated to allow separation into 4 cells per mini tray. The most reliable way to prevent confusing the varieties is to observe the following:

• always, only a single variety goes into any mini tray--so all varieties are apportioned in increments of 4 plants in my situation
  • each mini tray is directly labeled--I use one wood craft stick (Popsicle stick) marked with a Sharpie marker in each mini tray
The number of cells per full tray or per mini tray does not matter, so long as each divisible tray is directly labeled. By doing this, mini trays can be removed, shifted, rotated and otherwise mixed up, while maintaining the labeling. Growing tobacco is labor intensive. This small precaution can save a lot of frustration.

after the fact: As squeezyjohn points out, identifying the varieties, once the plants have acquired some size, is sometimes possible, especially if they are distinctive varieties. Unfortunately, if you mix up four different burley varieties or four different Basma Orientals, for example, it's usually not possible to clearly distinguish them by appearance.

Bob
Thanks Bob! I've used your (this) method, and has taken the guesswork and potential mix-up out of the equation. I highly recommend that everyone use this method to avoid mix-up!

DGBAMA

Looking at your Trays, one appears to be turned, the hex cells are oriented differently.

Worst case though, those three should be identifiable at knee high or less.

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm using Bob's method for some time now and... dont try anything else... it is working. In my case I have 9 cell trays.

If you are not sure it is still time to start all over again.

Brown Thumb

Welcome to the Ooops Club.
It happens all the time.
I label my trays and don't intermix types in a tray.
I even screw up hanging leaf. :mad:

Doogie

Thanks I wanted to plant them in different locations, I have spots for CT shade, little Dutch,etc so wanted to try and make sure of location for plant. I got lucky this year as I helped my friends out in there garden so they will let me grow 2 rows of tobacco. I do small drip irrigation and custom hydroponics for them. I'm going to try yellow twist and some other strains in hydro

ChinaVoodoo

I was previously doing rows of peat pellets, and although I never mixed up anything at that point, I recognize the risk. This year I'm doing what Bob does, except they are sections of 6 instead of 4, and instead of sharpie, I have colour coded wax crayon on the popsicle sticks. His method really ads peace of mind.

Doogie

Thanks guys! I started more seed soon after in mini trays, so I'll see if there is any diffranec during the different phases of the growing period.

Status
Not open for further replies.