Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi from France! Salut depuis la France! Saludos desde Francia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm growing Ohio Dutch, I don't know how similar it is to Little Dutch...I do not even know for sure which of the two I'm growing!
You may find it difficult to tell them apart when grown in a container. If you are able to grow even one in the ground, the Little Dutch is typically 1 m tall; the Dutch Ohio is nearly twice as tall.

Bob

Youn

Maybe I'll plant some in the ground, in an abandoned area, as experiment. I shall not have the heart to kill those whom I have too many!

Gavroche

Ah ah ah ... my problem last year ... it is necessary to think in term of drying not in term of plantation ... it is sad to see leaf rotting!

Ah ah ah...mon problème l'année dernière... il faut penser en terme de séchage pas en terme de plantation...c'est triste de voir des feuilles pourrir !

Youn

Ah ah ah ... my problem last year ... it is necessary to think in term of drying not in term of plantation ... it is sad to see leaf rotting!

Ah ah ah...mon problème l'année dernière... il faut penser en terme de séchage pas en terme de plantation...c'est triste de voir des feuilles pourrir !

Yes, but my 'official' plantation will be very small, no more than 10 plants. I intend to 'wildly' plant the other babies, just to see what they can do without care and in places not necessarily propitious ... if by chance these give me leaves, I think I will have enough space to cure them.

/ Oui, mais ma plantation 'officielle' sera très petite, pas plus de 10 pieds. J'ai l'intention de planter 'sauvagement' les autres bébés, juste pour voir ce qu'ils arrivent à faire sans soin et dans des endroits pas forcément propices… si par hasard ceux-ci me donnent des feuilles, je pense que j'aurai assez d'espace pour les sécher.

Charly

Charles, have you noticed brown spots on a particular variety or was it, regardless of the varieties, a matter of maturity?

The spots were on "cherry red 401" (virginia), see the picture bellow :
crop_2016.jpg

These leaves did have some holes, some brown spots, were more mature than the other I harvested, they smell really nice now.
Since I air cured it, they lack sugar, but they have a nice mild aroma (perhaps too light).

This year, I will try to let the leaves mature more on the plant before harvesting them.

I can only compare to Semois (I grew rustica too, but I had even more difficulties to determine if the leaves were really mature/ripe...)
The Semois I grew did show some yellowing at the tip when they became ripe/mature (I will wait more this year with this variety too).

Charly

How did you like that cherry Charly? I almost bought some seed for that this year.

It's slowly becoming better and better (I "kilned" it in my oven, in closed jars, at 50°C, a few hours a day, from time to time... so it takes time !)
For now I can only say that it lacks the sugar you can find in common flue cured leaves (I sun/air cured it), the aroma and taste are light, but enjoyable :)
But I prefer my virginias when they are more tasty/aromatic and more sugary.

One positive thing is that it does not burn my tongue at all (maybe it's the lack of sugar ?).
I remember it was very very more acidic when the leaves were young (and not kilned), maybe I should try to mix kilned and not kilned leaves ? (that's an interesting idea, I'll have to try one of these days !)

I tried to make cavendish out of it, but the leaves were young and the result was not very interesting (very very light in taste and very poor burning quality)
I tried to make perique out of it, the result is very light too, the aroma not very interesting... (I tried to make perique out of semois, and it is better, more aromatic)

I am waiting for my 2017 crop so I can compare it to other virginias (I am trying "Hickory Pryor" and "Symbol 4").

And I have to add that my Cherry Red was not easy to grow :
some plants had PVY (potato Virus Y), others had PMV (Potato Mosaïc Virus) and there was blue mold..... so it was not an easy strain
For comparaison, the semois did not have any disease at all ! Semois = easy :)
The same for Mapacho (rustica) = no disease at all.

Charly

Thanks for the picture. So, I don't have to worry if I see this type of spots…

I should have take close up photos so I can remember them well... there are many types of spots you might find on leaves, some are signs of diseases, so I'm not sure if these spots were really signs of maturity... If I remember well, they might be some signs of blue mold after it has dried ?
I have not enough knowledge yet to tell you ;)

The thing to remember : if you see spots, holes, strange coloration, strange shapes... that means you have to check what causes this (and find the remedy if it exists) ;)

greenmonster714

It's slowly becoming better and better (I "kilned" it in my oven, in closed jars, at 50°C, a few hours a day, from time to time... so it takes time !)
For now I can only say that it lacks the sugar you can find in common flue cured leaves (I sun/air cured it), the aroma and taste are light, but enjoyable :)
But I prefer my virginias when they are more tasty/aromatic and more sugary.

One positive thing is that it does not burn my tongue at all (maybe it's the lack of sugar ?).
I remember it was very very more acidic when the leaves were young (and not kilned), maybe I should try to mix kilned and not kilned leaves ? (that's an interesting idea, I'll have to try one of these days !)

I tried to make cavendish out of it, but the leaves were young and the result was not very interesting (very very light in taste and very poor burning quality)
I tried to make perique out of it, the result is very light too, the aroma not very interesting... (I tried to make perique out of semois, and it is better, more aromatic)

I am waiting for my 2017 crop so I can compare it to other virginias (I am trying "Hickory Pryor" and "Symbol 4").

And I have to add that my Cherry Red was not easy to grow :
some plants had PVY (potato Virus Y), others had PMV (Potato Mosaïc Virus) and there was blue mold..... so it was not an easy strain
For comparaison, the semois did not have any disease at all ! Semois = easy :)
The same for Mapacho (rustica) = no disease at all.

Thanks for the info. I have some hickory prior going as well. Maybe I'll rethink that cherry.

greenmonster714

Thanks for the picture. So, I don't have to worry if I see this type of spots…

Like Charly stated. There could be a problem with those spots. Check out this link below. Try not to over evaluate the spots. Sometimes folks get overwhelmed when it comes to troubleshooting a problem with plants. See if anything looks and sounds like the problem. This is in English but I'm sure Google translate can help you out.

http://https://www.plantvillage.org/en/topi...ation#diseases

Status
Not open for further replies.