Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2018 Air-cured and Rajangan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I just had an opportunity to pack a bowl with China's 2017 rajangan and I have to say, first sample of it without adding a thing is real nice especially considering how it was made. There is no chlorophyll flavor making it through and only a mild tongue bite from not mixing. Very well done, it certainly opens up growing for the pipe to those unwilling or unable to flue cure.

I'm impressed thanks for the sample!

ChinaVoodoo

I just had an opportunity to pack a bowl with China's 2017 rajangan and I have to say, first sample of it without adding a thing is real nice especially considering how it was made. There is no chlorophyll flavor making it through and only a mild tongue bite from not mixing. Very well done, it certainly opens up growing for the pipe to those unwilling or unable to flue cure.

I'm impressed thanks for the sample!

Thank you very much for the review, Smokes. You waited a while to smoke it, and I had already emotionally conceded that it was so bad that you didn't know what to say, lol.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Smoking ChinaVoodoo's Delhi 34 Rajangan

This is my second bowl of CV's Ranangan. I initially smoked some it several weeks ago, and did not like it. I decided to wait a while to smoke the remainder of the sample he sent, in order to approach it with calmer expectations.

Tasting Notes:
  • Initial light has a slight sweetness
  • Very harsh in the nose
  • Smoother on the tongue
  • Vague "raw" or unaged aroma
  • Aroma profile seems fairly one-dimensional
  • Mid-bowl taste is somewhat bitter
  • Suggests freshly sun-cured leaf that has no aging
The rajangan process is a sun-cure that is undertaken after green leaf has first been shredded. My impression from my own sun-curing experience is that the sun-curing is merely the first step in a longer process. The leaf can be subsequently aged (in case, at least some of the time), or it can be kilned. Only after that natural or artificial aging does sun-cured leaf attain a mellow quality.

My conclusion is that ranangan, though "smokable", ought to be kilned prior to smoking. I appreciate CV's sending me this sample for evaluation.

Caveat: I have the same general impression of the two commercial versions of Semois that I've received from generous forum members. There just may be some attributes that others find appealing, but that I do not.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Smoking ChinaVoodoo's Delhi 34 Rajangan

This is my second bowl of CV's Ranangan. I initially smoked some it several weeks ago, and did not like it. I decided to wait a while to smoke the remainder of the sample he sent, in order to approach it with calmer expectations.

Tasting Notes:
  • Initial light has a slight sweetness
  • Very harsh in the nose
  • Smoother on the tongue
  • Vague "raw" or unaged aroma
  • Aroma profile seems fairly one-dimensional
  • Mid-bowl taste is somewhat bitter
  • Suggests freshly sun-cured leaf that has no aging
The rajangan process is a sun-cure that is undertaken after green leaf has first been shredded. My impression from my own sun-curing experience is that the sun-curing is merely the first step in a longer process. The leaf can be subsequently aged (in case, at least some of the time), or it can be kilned. Only after that natural or artificial aging does sun-cured leaf attain a mellow quality.

My conclusion is that ranangan, though "smokable", ought to be kilned prior to smoking. I appreciate CV's sending me this sample for evaluation.

Caveat: I have the same general impression of the two commercial versions of Semois that I've received from generous forum members. There just may be some attributes that others find appealing, but that I do not.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I consumed it too fast to see how it really develops with age. And I agree about the effect on the nose. I also get that effect from the Delhi when smoking un-kilned flue cured.

ChinaVoodoo

I replanted Isleta Pueblo on Friday because, unlike everything else, I don't have at least enough seedlings to fill the pots allotted to that type. Overall, that's good news because I've got all the N. tabacum seedlings I want. And Isleta Pueblo doesn't really need as much of a head start, right. Ironically, they were the first seedlings to germinate, and the ones I do have are the largest. 5 seedlings / 3 seeds per pot, x 12 pots = 14% germination.

ChinaVoodoo

Do you have them on a heat mat?

I have them two inches above a heat mat which is too hot. Soil temperature is 80. The heat mat is only on at night. You know what? I was over watering. I must have been. I generally do water more until the seedlings are big enough.

I know how to fix it. There's nothing to worry about. I added a fan. I'll water less.

ChinaVoodoo

So I'm looking at a photo of my grandpa (left),
IMG_20180409_092648052.jpg

wondering where a guy can get a shirt like that.
IMG_20180408_030814060~2.jpg

And then I notice this
IMG_20180409_092348671~2.jpg

And this
IMG_20180409_092338155~2.jpg

And I think, no, it couldn't be tobacco, could it?

ChinaVoodoo

Tobacco is starting to grow. Goose Creek is the best. For perspective, these pots are 3.15" across.
IMG_20180410_084121813_HDR~2.jpg

Samporis, two left rows, and Kasturi, one rift row are doing well.
IMG_20180410_084225172_HDR~2.jpg

Nostrano is fine (two right rows). Kasturi one row on left.
IMG_20180410_084213909_HDR~2.jpg

TN90LC, two left rows, and KY 17, one right row, aren't doing all that great.
IMG_20180410_084300527_HDR.jpg

One row of KY17 is good though, left, those were the first to germinate, the others were transplants. And Isleta Pueblo two right rows are doing well. There's also two tomatillo plants in the bigger pots there.
IMG_20180410_084137384_HDR~2.jpg

Since I think someone will ask, I sprinkled perlite on the soil, along with watering less, to eliminate the small flies I had. It's mostly worked.

alPol05

So I'm looking at a photo of my grandpa (left), wondering where a guy can get a shirt like that.
View attachment 23380

ChinaVoodoo,

This shirt reminds me traditional shirts of Ukrainian men.

il_570xN.577196589_c8hx.jpg

This type of shirts was popular in the eastern parts of Poland bordering with Ukraine.

I have seen people dressed like that often, especially native Ukrainians who visited Poland's eastern towns and villages.

Wiktor

Status
Not open for further replies.