Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Log 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks chicken. Any suggestions on protecting them from the harsh sun? Shade cloth or something of the like. During the hard hours of the day the leaves sink and sag (or is this normal for tobacco?) Every morning they are back and reaching for the sky...

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yes it's normal during the day for them to wilt,

to the point they look dead,

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Any specific measures that should be taken to take care of them when they're like that?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
no need to do anything - it's what tobacco plants do when there it's hot and sunny.
If it really bothers you, don't look at them during mid-day - just check your plants in early AM or evening.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Haha the only time I see them during the day is on Saturdays, 9 hour work days keep me busy. At midnight, the plants looks lush and green, Mornings they look skinny and green. If I know that's what they do, no need to worry. I'll keep them watered as needed, other than that I'll stop worrying.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Everything is going well with the tobacco. Applied the first round of soap water to them last night. The bugs are starting to come out so I thought I'd get a jump on them. I am thinking about installing a small fence like Chicken's soon, I also will be applying straw around plants as well.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
looks like i will be doing some soapy water myself...

i got some kinda flie's that are getting on my leaves, they arent aphid's....more like ,, whiteflies,,,

me being surrounded by so much agriculture ,,establishments,, dairy's. beef farm's..chicken-houses,, hay fields,, e,t,c,

the bugs come from all directions,,,

and die when they reach my property,

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I've been getting some white flies and a lot of large black flies, they only have been damaging the lower leaves that are already yellowing so not too much to worry about. Delux, I'll be grabbing some pictures this evening after I get it all weeded. ( I may apply another round of fertilizer soon as well, we've had a lot of rain lately that may wash out the nurtrients)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg

Green Brior, YTB, Silk Leaf, Havana 142, the best of each species thus far.

Local tomato farms are having problems with these cute buggers, hopefully they keep them away from my tobacco...

800px-Tobacco_Hornworm_1.jpg

Last edited:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Applied a 3.4 grams of 20/20/20 fert. to each plant base just after the rain tonight, I applied 60 grams to the 5 rows this spring after tilling. We'll see how everything looks by saturday

BarG

Founding Member
How wore out was that ground any way? That looks like fresh broke ground. Let them plants be for a while and let them grow, or you may make the mistake I made last year and screw up your efforts. They are young still.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It's fairly fresh, just not taken care of. Rental yard, more crab grass than actual yard and it wasn't ever fed. It's healthy soil just not real rich in essential nutrients. This is the last feeding I am giving it, it has to work for the rest of it's food haha. But I appreciate it and yeah they are still young. I just want to get them off on the right step.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The largest leaves at the time of planting (the ones that got a bit sunburned) were removed lastnight to help stimulate the rest of the plant, they weren't but 8" long but still, a leach on the plant's nutrients is still a leach.

It was mostly the Green Brior that was effected, no science to back it up other than experience. But the Green brior is a fast grower. In tree growing, fast growing trees tend to be softer and more sensitive. The other strains of tobacco seem to be fine, but then again they are growing 1/2 the speed of the green brior.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
p1.jpg about 7:30 today when the plants are still waking up. The far spot of the plot just DOESN'T like cucumbers. One plant is doing ok and I will attempt to plant 1 more this week. Everything else is doing well though.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Found a cool gizmo at the antique store in Lake Odessa, it's a potato planter, but I'll be damned if it wouldn't work for my tobacco transplants as well.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

From what I can tell, you apply downward pressure on the point of the "scoop", the lever then actuates the hinge, separates the clamps and spreads the dirt. I may try and rig up a "shoot" that I just drop the transplant into.

For $5 I am willing to try and use it next year, if it won't work, I'll try planting potatos or just use it as a decoration!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
From what I can tell, you apply downward pressure on the point of the "scoop", the lever then actuates the hinge, separates the clamps and spreads the dirt. I may try and rig up a "shoot" that I just drop the transplant into.

Yep ! You got it right. Stab it in, stomp it, yank it out and move on down the row. Helper (my sister) drops the seed potato and scuffs the dirt over it and stomps. Can't tell you how many thousand I dug. You ever sit on the back stoop and help cut 1000 potatoes into 4000 seeds? As I remember that's about 8 bushels. Of course Dad had the "only right" way to do it. I learned about sharp knives early on.

Guess you might say I been there, done that. You develop a hell of a left arm and a sore right foot. Sis was a trooper tho. She never said but I'll bet that shoulder bag got heavy.

All that damn work putting em down and a few months later you got to dig em all up and bag em. Go figure.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
John, how well do you think these would work for putting in transplants? Wouldn't be nearly as quick as mechanized transplanted but still...

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, how well do you think these would work for putting in transplants? Wouldn't be nearly as quick as mechanized transplanted but still...

If your ground is well tilled and not too rocky I think it would work OK. As I remember the hole would be bigger than you need. There is still the stoop labor of setting the seedling and covering it. I don' know it it would be an advantage or not. With potatoes you just dropped the seed and kicked cover and stomped. Remember potatoes needed to be planted deeper. For seedlings just a pointed stick the right size would probably work as well.

I have no idea how many plants you are considering planting. I visualized a garden tractor pulling a sled made from old shipping pallets. This would require two people. One driving and the other planting. The sled would have a centered vee point,pointing down, to make a furrow. The planter would ride the sled and set seedlings thru a hole in the center, Two more slanted boards or vee's would push the soil back to cover them. The vee's would retract at the end of a row or you could just get off the sled to reduce the strain on them. This could get as fancy as you chose with racks to carry extra trays, spring loaded vee's, etc. You could even install a beer can holder although I recommend against one for the driver unless you like crooked rows, :D

This would mean you were planting rows long enough to make the rig worth while. Figuring a plant every 24" and a 98 cells/seeding tray it means a tray would plant ~ 2 100' rows. That's a lot more than I'll ever grow and for less I don't know if it's worth the effort. The $ cost would be next to nothing.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.