Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

need to get things moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzappenning

so i brought my plants out in the afternoon sun last week, and they didnt like it at all. it was quite breezy which i thought was good. two of my medium ones just wilted. i tried to save them by watering, but now they just lay there flat and shriveled. the rest enjoyed the water and look healthy again. i brought them out today again, and they did much better this time. problem is, its supposed to rain for the next few days. you cant harden them off in the rain or even just cloudy days can you?

call before you dig came, so now i have to get that garden ready. but i need to harden these off and am worried ill lose some more of them. im wondering if all the nutrients in the potting soil have been depleted?

jeapadrenaline

We had over 4 inches of rain in the past 5 days. A little break today and 1.5 inches forecast for tonight and tomorrow. The plants in the garden seem to be ok, but not growing due to low temps and close to freezing at night. The plants inside need to be hardened off as well. I put them out even in rain and cloud cover. Uv penetrates cloud cover fairly well, so it will harden them off, just may take a few more days. I gave mine some all purpose 24-8-16 miracle grow ferilizer mixed half strength. They love it, it seems. What a weird year so far here in bc, and alberta too i hear.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Tobacco will drown if it's wet for an extended time. Dig furrows (trenches) between the rows to allow for drainage away from the roots.

Your tobacco will thank you for it.

jeapadrenaline

My baccy patch is on a bit of a hillside. I built terraces and have the plants also planted on raised double rows, somehow i feared big rains coming and was right. This is not usual for us.
Someday i will actually get on the computer instead of android phone and upload some pictures. Living off grid has its drawbacks lol. In the meanwhile, anyone want to add me on facebook, search "jeapadrenaline" James Boss. Send a message stating you're from FTT and i'll accept friend request. Lots of pics there.
Sorry for the hyjack.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
you cant harden them off in the rain or even just cloudy days can you?

Correct... you need that sun. The same thing happened to me this year. Because of cloudy/rainy days I ended up planted about 10 days later than planned.
How long were your plants in the sun the first time you took them out?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I harden off under an overhang but grow much less than most.
They get sun in the morning then just ambient light the rest of the day.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like your off to a good start...

sorry about the plant loss. but it happens,

thats why i try to start way more than i need, so i know, i'll have plenty to plant.

wazzappenning

the first time i put them out for just over an hour. it was 4 ish pm, but now i have noticed that the sun is still pretty direct at that hour, so ill have to take them out in the morning instead.

as far as starting more than you need....lesson learned. of the 100 or so i was planning on having im down to about 50 survivors.

ill put them out for a bit this morning (mostly cloud with small breaks of sun for now). i guess its more a matter of getting them used to being outside (under any conditions) rather than just getting them used to the sun.

what should i be looking for? is there a way to tell when theyre hardened off? should i bring them in when they look like theyre drooping? or is that too late?

wazzappenning

ok so i put them out for a over an hour, but i believe they got less than an hour of sun. are they wilting? what am i doing wrong? or are they supposed to just bounce back? any ideas/suggestions?

06092012103.jpg

06092012104.jpg

06092012105.jpg

BigBonner

Founding Member
In my opinion. You have over fertilized the plants .

I take the fertilizer out from under my plant to harden them .
If they are not hardened off . I just plant them, cooler the weather the better .

wazzappenning

i havent added any fertilizer. just used potting soil from the start (with no mention on it of fertilizer included). they do this if i let the dirt dry (i can still feel its slightly humid though) or when i take them out to try to harden them off. seems like watering helps them look healthy again, but im getting told ive been overwatering them??? not too sure what to do?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like you have 72 cell trays. My guess is that the plants have outgrown the tiny quantity of dirt in the cells, and that they just can't get enough water while they're in the sun. My bold suggestion is that you clip each leaf back by 2/3 (don't clip the growth tip of the plant). That will dramatically reduce the evaporative demand, while they are exposed to the sun.

Bob

wazzappenning

i clipped most of them to half, but yeah i have smaller plants still in the original germinating tray with much more dirt and outside didnt seem to bother them at all.

i will cut all the leaves back to a third, but should i cut the lower yellow ones sitting right on the dirt completely off? or will that cause more problems?

id rather just get them hardened off and into the ground than transplant them to bigger containers. for one its a pain, and second i dont have any containers.

when you say growth tip what do you mean? the stalk, or leaf that seems to be part of the stalk?

wazzappenning

ok, so the main (top) leaf is ok to cut i hope, as i have already on most of them.

thank you for all the help.

BarG

Founding Member
Have your plants been raised indoors under lights? I also wonder did your plants spring back or respond by a night of rest to look healthy in the morning.. A little worse for wear but still standing up?

I have the problem of not the hardening off but having to plant on cloudy days this time of year to keep from being burnt to a crisp Ha ha. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest you give your plants neither full sun or full shade if thats possible, but a happy medium. When those leafs get limp to severely only the new tips or new growth seems to have a chance to survive.I wonder why they call tobacco country tobacco country? Transplant again in a one size bigger container if not too many plants and wait for better conditions?

BarG

Founding Member
It looks like you have 72 cell trays. My guess is that the plants have outgrown the tiny quantity of dirt in the cells, and that they just can't get enough water while they're in the sun. My bold suggestion is that you clip each leaf back by 2/3 (don't clip the growth tip of the plant). That will dramatically reduce the evaporative demand, while they are exposed to the sun.

Bob

I reccomend this advice! It has helped my later plants to adapt and grow better roots.

workhorse_01

I agree with BarG, differed sunlight. I would go to the store and get some 32oz styrofoam cups and transplant in to them that will give you about 8" roots in two weeks you can take your thumbnail and cut two holes in the bottom for water to drain, and the plant will slide right out rootball and all when your ready to plant. I've found that tobacco starts dont like their roots to find the bottom of their pots . I put some of mine in half cups (cut in half) and some in full cups 32oz the ones in 32oz cups did better and are taller in the garden faster.

wazzappenning

thanks for the info guys.

my plants were raised in a window, so sun for a little less than half a day. so im not sure why they would have trouble in the outdoors sun?

yes they seem healthier in the morning, but i also water when they get limp, as i did the same when they were in the window and seemed to help.

i have them outside right now, ill see what happens with the leaves cut back before i start re-containering them. i want to plant in a week or so if possible, or asap if i have them hardened.

Status
Not open for further replies.