Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Don't leave a Sucker alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Ok, John how about honorary, is that acceptable. Official does sound a bit official.

Just give us your take after the fact, You know the old saying...Hind sight is 20-20 ;)

My problem is sometimes after I start a thread I wish it were worded different, after the fact.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that if the original author edits the first post of his (or her) thread, the thread title can be edited there as well. I can't test it, since I can edit almost anything on the forum.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that if the original author edits the first post of his (or her) thread, the thread title can be edited there as well. I can't test it, since I can edit almost anything on the forum.

Bob

I tried to edit a thread title before and have been unable to Bob. I could be missing something but it seems to be set in stone from my end. The first time I tried was on my intro. which was the first post. I was able to edit the title as seen on post, but not the original thread title. I was just funnin with John and Indianjoe. You sure don't miss much:D

Thats a good thing!

I had never thought to look for the hornworm eggs before, Its incredible when you know what to look for how easy they are to spot. Thanks for that post.

Tim

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I tried to edit a thread title before and have been unable to Bob. I could be missing something but it seems to be set in stone from my end. The first time I tried was on my intro. which was the first post. I was able to edit the title as seen on post, but not the original thread title. I was just funnin with John and Indianjoe. You sure don't miss much:D

Thats a good thing!

I had never thought to look for the hornworm eggs before, Its incredible when you know what to look for how easy they are to spot. Thanks for that post.

Tim

they are tough buggers to squeeze and pop.

i usually pluck them, and put them in my pocket,,,,i'll let the washer and dryer do the killing,

wazzappenning

thanks for the description of suckers. looks tough to distinguish between a new stalk, and a new leaf stem. ill check michibaccys log for that video

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
thanks for the description of suckers. looks tough to distinguish between a new stalk, and a new leaf stem. ill check michibaccys log for that video

Here is a link to my video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dRy46HoiJoM

In my experience (as little as it is) if the thing is this much smaller than the other leaves, it's a sucker. They tend to grow RIGHT at the base of the existing leaf, looks like a little node off the stem of the leaf.

sucker.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...suckers. looks tough to distinguish between a new stalk, and a new leaf stem.
Michibacy's description is accurate. A sucker grows either directly from the base of the stalk (at the side), or from a leaf axil (the crotch where a larger leaf attaches to the stalk). If the little leaves are in the center of the plant, and at the very top of the plant, then it is the growth stem, and should be left alone. If you're not sure, let it grow larger. A sucker will attempt to become a "branch" off the main stalk. When they're about 5" long, there is seldom a question about them being suckers.

Bob

Rayshields

If the little leaves are in the center of the plant, and at the very top of the plant, then it is the growth stem, and should be left alone. If you're not sure, let it grow larger.
Bob

Bob, for clarification, are you saying that after topping we should let the sucker at the top of the plant grow? Or are you saying don't take out the top before the flowers start to bud?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Rayshields,
I have no idea what you're asking. If you are allowing a plant to grow, remove all the suckers, but leave the growth tip at the center top of the plant. If you plan to save seed, then allow the top to bud, bagging it before the blossoms open. If you are not making seed, then top the plant when the buds appear. There is normally no "sucker" at the center top, unless you have already topped the plant.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Ray, some of my plants will put out another stem or 2 next to the main bud, which will bud also. I have been letting the buds get big enough without blooming on plants to be topped so I can get my clumsy fingers in there to pinch off without tearing any leaves close to actual bud.

Rayshields

Thanks BarG, I thought that maybe I was supposed to let the sucker that forms at the top of the plant, after topping, go ahead and grow. I had not been allowing them to grow and have been doing it correctly.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm going out now to try the salad oil on my suckers. Last year the Bursa didn't sucker till topping but this year they have started at a foot tall. I don't want to leave the suckers alone!! Could planting too soon or to deep be a factor? Last years bagged plant did not have a problem with suckers.

TheOtherOne

About two weeks ago my 8in rusticas showed their first suckers, I cut them off with a pair of scissors and they regrew. I just went out yesterday and busted them off at the node with my fingertip. I heard somewhere not everyone takes the suckers off the rustica varieties, is this true? I have no intentions of using any type of systemic chemical on them...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Rusticas tend to form a whole lot of suckers. If you want the largest possible leaves, then you should remove them as they appear. Since much of the work of handling leaf is proportional to the number of leaves, having larger leaf will require less work for the same weight of product.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Good question . What type of rustica? I've got some of Deluxestogies Sacred Cornplanter going and thats one of the few that aren't suckering. When I looked close at them this evening I noticed they have I can only describe as tiny filament hairs around the new growth.I thought it was a mold or something and then realized its like dew collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.