Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Blending

websu

So I'm new to growing and I've grown 3 strains burley, golden Virginia and amber leaf unfortunately I was stupid and didn't label each plant I have roughly 21 plants and I don't know what I'm harvesting, my plan is to just chop it all down (rolling tobacco) will these 3 bled well together

Also I'm in the UK and am having to rush harvest as frost is around the corner I'm finding myself harvesting some very green and sticky leafs they are curing brown some darker than others,is this okay?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with a tobacco plant variety named amber leaf. Virginia tobacco that is air-cured, rather than flue-cured will not be as bright, as sweet or acidic as what you may be familiar with.

Stalk-cutting and stalk-curing will be your best bet for getting some useable leaf, if it has not had sufficient growing time to fully mature. Don't allow the harvested plants to freeze prior to completion of color-curing.

Situation: unidentified varieties. If you really have no idea which is which, then once the leaf has color-cured, and been kilned or aged, just blend by color: some of the lightest, some of the darker, some of the darkest. Plan B would be to just take it all, and blend it.

Generally, the stalk level at which the leaf grew will determine how dark the leaf color. Lower on the stalk produces lighter color, thinner leaf with lower nicotine. Higher on the stalk produces darker color, thicker leaf with higher nicotine.

For next year, get some wooden Popsicle sticks and a Sharpie marker, and label each plant. Then devise a method to label the primed leaf or cut stalks.

Garden20230730_7202_LittleYellow_stalkHarvesting_nail_500.jpg

The name tags are made of Tyvek, cut from a used mailing envelope.

My curing tags follow the leaf thereafter, inside the kiln, inside their final storage bag.

Bob

websu

I'm not familiar with a tobacco plant variety named amber leaf. Virginia tobacco that is air-cured, rather than flue-cured will not be as bright, as sweet or acidic as what you may be familiar with.

Stalk-cutting and stalk-curing will be your best bet for getting some useable leaf, if it has not had sufficient growing time to fully mature. Don't allow the harvested plants to freeze prior to completion of color-curing.

Situation: unidentified varieties. If you really have no idea which is which, then once the leaf has color-cured, and been kilned or aged, just blend by color: some of the lightest, some of the darker, some of the darkest. Plan B would be to just take it all, and blend it.

Generally, the stalk level at which the leaf grew will determine how dark the leaf color. Lower on the stalk produces lighter color, thinner leaf with lower nicotine. Higher on the stalk produces darker color, thicker leaf with higher nicotine.

For next year, get some wooden Popsicle sticks and a Sharpie marker, and label each plant. Then devise a method to label the primed leaf or cut stalks.

Garden20230730_7202_LittleYellow_stalkHarvesting_nail_500.jpg

The name tags are made of Tyvek, cut from a used mailing envelope.

My curing tags follow the leaf thereafter, inside the kiln, inside their final storage bag.

Bob
The amber leaf seeds I bought of eBay so perhaps they were just lying, I think I'm gonna have to just chop it all together I've started harvesting some full stalk plants which are coming out nice, definitely am going to have to be more organised next time

websu

Amber Leaf isn't a variety Bob, it's a brand name of hand rolling tobacco here in the UK. Ebay sellers often advertise Amber Leaf seeds but I guess they could be anything.
I did buy them of eBay so god knows what I have now, I've ordered seeds from a more trusted website than eBay now so I know what I definitely have next grow, also got my own harvested seeds which are cross breaded with what I planted as I didn't know they could cross breed

websu