Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chest freezer, flue curing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Curious to know if a chest freezer would work as a flue. Could the plastics take the temps? Would it gas out?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Yes, I got a 23 cu ft. chest freezer that I'll eventually get turned into a flue-curing chamber. Just side tracked with other stuff right now, so am planning on having it running in 2014 season. I've done a lot planning about how to get it done, got most components, just need to get it done.

Don't think there are problems with going to 165+ degrees, have placed big pot of boiling hot water on plastic interior, didn't soften, and no smell. Also put crockpot in it, on high for couple hours - it got to near 200 degrees, again, no softening or smell.
Is that what you mean by 'gas out'.?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Don't think there are problems with going to 165+ degrees, have placed big pot of boiling hot water on plastic interior, didn't soften, and no smell. Also put crockpot in it, on high for couple hours - it got to near 200 degrees, again, no softening or smell. Is that what you mean by 'gas out'.?
I think he may be talking about "out gassing" or "off gassing" of plastics. Some people think PVC is a large offender and is commonly used the fridges and freezers. Whether or not significant quantities of gas would come off at 165 F I don't know but think it's worth asking.

John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've wondered the same things. Would you set it up on a small side with the door opening outward like an upright freezer? Or keep it positioned like a chest?

FALaholic

Don't think there are problems with going to 165+ degrees, have placed big pot of boiling hot water on plastic interior, didn't soften, and no smell. Also put crockpot in it, on high for couple hours - it got to near 200 degrees, again, no softening or smell.
Is that what you mean by 'gas out'.?

Yes, that is my concern. After all is said and done, your bacca smells like plastic.
Thanks for the inspiration.

FALaholic

I've wondered the same things. Would you set it up on a small side with the door opening outward like an upright freezer? Or keep it positioned like a chest?

I thought of the exact same thing for the last couple of days. The reason alot of people turn it right side up is because you have more vertical interior room. You could leave it horizontal. It all depends on how long your leaf is.
I can't recall, but when flue curing, do you need to add humidity, or just control it by venting?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I can't recall, but when flue curing, do you need to add humidity, or just control it by venting?

my plan is to control by venting, already lots of water in the leaf.

I currently have a upright freezer, in use for 2 years now as a fermenting chamber. Never have had an off-smell, but then I've never had it above 150 degrees, and that was only a short time for testing.

DonH

my plan is to control by venting, already lots of water in the leaf.

I currently have a upright freezer, in use for 2 years now as a fermenting chamber. Never have had an off-smell, but then I've never had it above 150 degrees, and that was only a short time for testing.
I've found that I can dry the stems at 155 degrees in less than 24 hours, so maybe to be safe you don't have to go all the way up to 165.

Status
Not open for further replies.