Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar variety suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTheNewGuy

Hey everyone, it's getting time to start seedlings for the growing season and I don't know what all to plant. I think I'm going to plant around 36 plants this year now that I kind of know what I'm doing. I have Vuelta abajo and cuban criollo seeds but I'm looking for one or two varieties that will go well with them, maybe something on the sweeter side of things?

I have really enjoyed the few cubans I have had especially those with a sweeter more fruity character. I've also enjoyed the more medium bodied multi-region blends I've smoked. So any suggestions for some good cigar tobacco varieties?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm doing the same 2 you mentioned, the descriptions of Comstock Spanish had me putting it on the list too. I was thinking a great cigar might be composed of vuelta and criollo filler with a Comstock binder, no wrapper.

MikeTheNewGuy

I have seen some good things about Comstock spanish, that could be a variety to grow. It would be nice to have plants designated for binder.

Smokin Buffalo

I just ordered my seeds the other day and I too am getting the Vuelta abajo and cuban criollo, but added Florida Sumatra. This will be my first ever grow. I may just grow a few of the Abajo plants which is what I want most. I had to order the others just so I could meet the minimal order. We'll see as I know nothing about growing tobacco. I'll have to learn as much as I can from this forum just like I did for rolling cigars!

MikeTheNewGuy

The Vuelta abajo I just tried last week. Still feisty and youthful but good. The smoke was dry and slightly leathery and woody with some allspice in the background. The criollo was also dry but very woody and mildly sweet. I would suggest at least 8 plants to make it worth your while and no less than 3 per variety. The growing part wasn't hard for me at all last season I just put em in the ground and watched them grow. The processing is the labor intensive part. I've been considering little dutch for the sweetness everyone talks about, and maybe havana 608 for another cuban type. Who knows though it's getting to be seed starting time rather fast I need to make some executive decisions.

Frozenthunderbolt

Hey mike - go with little dutch - it really is exceptional.
I don't know how much cigar rolling experience you have, but 'Magnolia' makes one hell of an easy and forgiving stretchy wrapper (If a little pale - won't kiln to a maduro)

Smokin Buffalo

how long will these seeds last? I now have to buy more seeds because now I want to add Little Dutch to my varieties above and I can't just have a $2.99 order. I will have to buy a few others as well. They are not expensive so I don't mind buying them, I just don't want to waste them all by buying seeds I'll never use.

ArizonaDave

how long will these seeds last? I now have to buy more seeds because now I want to add Little Dutch to my varieties above and I can't just have a $2.99 order. I will have to buy a few others as well. They are not expensive so I don't mind buying them, I just don't want to waste them all by buying seeds I'll never use.
I have a bunch from last year's grow, just PM one of us your address, and one of us will send you some.

MikeTheNewGuy

Thanks for all the input guys. I think that makes my season look like

Vuelta abajo
Dominican olor
Havana 608
Little dutch
Comstock spanish
After a trip to the nursery for some starting pots operation cigar grow 2.0 will be underway. 50 degrees here today won't be too long.

Smokin Buffalo

Thanks guys! Jitterbug is sending me a few Little Dutch seeds. I'm looking forward to my first year of growing. Now I have to learn as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.