Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

curing leaf for cigar wrapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Anyone have any special tips/tricks they use for curing wrapper leaf? Or just air cure like everything else then pick out the pretty ones? My One wrapper variety has some beautiful leaves and I don't want to mess them up not curing right.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My simple approach has been to kiln the wrappers at the same temp and duration (~125ºF x 1 month) as all my other tobacco that's not flue-cured. The lower leaf comes out lighter; the upper leaf darker. Because it's leaf-primed, the batches are generally of one stalk position. When kilning is complete, I bring the wrapper batches into case, stack them flat, allow them to dry down, then place them into Don's poly-Nylon bags.

The result is separate bags of lug, leaf and top wrappers, which pretty much sort out by color. If there is nice tip leaf, then I sometimes also get a bag of smallish oscuro wrappers--naturally flavorful and sweet.

I suppose the only difference between the way I handle wrapper vs. filler is in the care I use when they are not in case.

Year by year, my new wrappers get better. I really don't know what I'm doing differently. I think it's just a matter of making fewer unconscious mistakes during the growing, harvesting and handling.

Bob

DGBAMA

Thanks Bob. So no special hanging methods, etc. Just extra care in handling, especially when dry.

I remember priming is earlier, mature but not ripe?

Scantic just starting to bud, so probably about time to prime the lower leaves; or wait until a couple weeks after topping? . This is a gorgeous plant.14040547769860.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I my failing memory isn't failing me, I primed cigar wrapper at the stage when there was the slightest hint of yellow at the tip. I have no idea when that relates to topping time. I top when the time comes, I prime the leaves individually, as they become ready, regardless of the budding stage.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.