Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Drying after kilning

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that within a closed bag, the moisture content is not evenly distributed. This could certainly account for the difference in color on the same leaf.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I suspect that within a closed bag, the moisture content is not evenly distributed. This could certainly account for the difference in color on the same leaf.

Bob

I agree. When I ran the kiln for the first time I had a mixed lot of hanging unbagged hands and leaf in bags laid on their sides. The bags were open. When the unbagged hanging leaf felt sufficiently moisturized, the bags were sweating and would have standing water. Some of my leaf in bags rotted, some that didn't rot but got sopping wet, dried to a black looking color. I'll only kiln unbagged hands from now on. I was only kilning in bags to catch up on leaf that I grew the two years prior to building my kiln and had already bagged.

When I unload the kiln, I can only pull out about three hands at a time for bagging. Any more than that and the leaf will dry out too fast. That hot leaf dries really fast in the open air.

buck

The Aroma is no longer fruity and has changed to more earthy, with slight hint of tobacco. My hands smell more like tobacco after handling it and I would guess that once cooled down more tobacco aroma would be more apparent.

Moisture distribution would explain the uneven color on the leaf and perhaps the leaf having tendency to curl and fold onto itself.

I embarked on this closed bag method after reading up on the sealed tub method and not being able to find any such tubs here, it seemed at that time that there would be very little difference between kilning using either methods. I took another look at Amaxb's video where he shows his kilned leaf and it looks dark but can't tell if the color is evenly distributed. There are also one or more members here that are kilning in jars, wonder what results they are getting.

Perhaps the Ziplok bags are not retaining moisture long enough for it to evenly distribute and remain there for the curing process to take place.
I have a coupe of smaller vapor proof bags that I can experiment with, maybe Smokin Harely will have better luck.

buck

Just read knuck's post. I'm seeing sections of leaf that are really really dark, maybe that is similar to what you experienced. I have not experienced any rot.
I'm going to bag the leaf the way it is now and store it for a while, revisit it at a later time. I have this years leaf hanging in my unheated garage and the humidity here will start increasing now that the rainy season is coming so I'll need to focus on that leaf.

I will experiment with some leaf using vapor proof bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.