Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks chuditch. I started a kiln build thread under Curing Arrangements. It's been humming along for a week now. Kilning my cigar leaf in it. I can't wait. :)

CT Tobaccoman

What I saw this morning, I had some Hab 2000 leaves that was on the green side, just put it in a bag in the fermenting fridge, the green is almost gone, a nice light brown colour!
I also farmed pipe tobacco for one year many moons ago, and pile fermented them. We use to turn the pile when it reached 65 deg C, that`s where I came up with the 65 deg in the fridge.
Last season I use 2x 60W globes, and i struggled to get it up to 65 deg. This season I`m using one 125W globe, the type used for security lights, and it works like a bomb.
In the past the pan I had on the one plate cooker was almost empty in the morning and evening, now I hardly use any water to keep it at 72% humidity, think that was the old fridge that was not to air tight.

That's useful info, Ben. Thanks
CT

CT Tobaccoman

CT Shade wrapper is unique, in that it is routinely fermented at "low" temperature.

Bob

Actually in recent years there has been a change from bulk sweat to fermentation by bale inside cardboard cartons. This goes into a room 100 degrees with close to 100% humidity possible without making rain. Poor guy who has to read thermometers inside tube in bales! It comes out fine in a fraction of the time needed for bulk sweat. Still "cool" compared to flue cured, which I will learn about soon.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.