Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

USHOG

I buy a lot of dog food every month and over the last 10 years I have watch the price go up 16 dollars a bag. I have been told over and over this is because of gas and corn prices going up. Well my first objection was that the dog food I use has no corn in it. This just seemed to confuse the people. Now that gas has dropped to 1.50 a gal around here there is no discount for gas going down. So why are companies quick to add to prices but very slow to bring them back down?

Freeotatv

My solution to product price increases..stop buying it...its the only way for the producer to feel the pain of their own markups

Gdaddy

They quickly become accustom to the additional profits. The consumer also becomes numb to the price they are paying and continue to pay. Reap..reap...reap.

Bex

Welcome to the world of capitalism and profits. By the way - $1.50 a gallon? We pay about $8.50/gallon here (actually they sell it by the litre - you go to the gas station, buy 15 litres of gas for about $25. Think, what a great deal! And then do the conversion, and realize that you bought less than 4 gallons of gas. Depressing.....

bonehead

my son lives is in alaska on prince williams sound. he is praying that gas prices stay low through spring. they get bulk gas delivered in the spring from a barge to fill up large tanks. he lives on the island where he works. the workers pay the price for gas that the company paid when it was delivered for the private boats, quads ect. it could make a huge difference when halibut and prawn seasons start. it is also a two hour boat ride to get to the nearest small town where you can leave a vehicle so you can get anywhere. when he came home for christmas it was to foggy for small planes to land so he took a helicopter so he wouldn't miss the rest of his flights to get to ct. i guess you could say he lives in the boonies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I buy a lot of dog food every month and over the last 10 years I have watch the price go up 16 dollars a bag. I have been told over and over this is because of gas and corn prices going up. Well my first objection was that the dog food I use has no corn in it. This just seemed to confuse the people. Now that gas has dropped to 1.50 a gal around here there is no discount for gas going down. So why are companies quick to add to prices but very slow to bring them back down?

Beef prices is pushing the prices up . We are getting paid the most ever for our beef .. Feeders at 400 to 550 pounds are $2.30 to $2.60 some higher .
But you need to remember that last year gas was high and most of this year . During the time most farmers was planting and up until harvesting . Right now farm diesel is around $3.70 a gallon . This year grain prices has dropped big time .
Gas here is hovering the $2 mark an hour from now it may jump $.20 a gallon .
But I am sure that the dog food companies use high commodity prices to justify high prices .

ArizonaDave

Sounds like you need to feed them hog-burgers and save some money? Hmmm, It seems like UPS, USPS and Fedex should reflect the new gas prices too? Maybe because it costs them X amount of dollars every time they implement a change? Can't be cheap for Corporate decisions.

DGBAMA

Remember, commercial transportation is mostly diesel, not gasoline; and Diesel prices have not fallen as much.

Also, even though companies with high fuel cost (overhead) will see increased profits the next few quarters, as long as demand/sales of the products they are transporting stay steady, they will likely just enjoy the additional profits rather than lower prices.

Gmac

Welcome to the world of capitalism and profits. By the way - $1.50 a gallon? We pay about $8.50/gallon here (actually they sell it by the litre - you go to the gas station, buy 15 litres of gas for about $25. Think, what a great deal! And then do the conversion, and realize that you bought less than 4 gallons of gas. Depressing.....
When I was a Kid (50 years ago) dad would send my brother & I to the station to buy farm grade diesel fuel to burn brush with, It was 3/4s of a cent a gallon, 12 gallons for a dime. Well all we had was 2 five gallon containers, so we just told the attendent to give the other two gallons to someone else.

Gmac

Smokin Harley

Gas today a block away is $1.85 , lowest its been in years. Yet, dog food went up $3 a bag the other day.

Texasgrown

Beef prices are driven by two factors. The uptick in international demand and the droughts which caused a huge sell off on beef over the last few years. We estimate the price will normalize around 7-8 a pound in the supermarket and much higer for what you mentioned at the auction. We butcher our own beef so it really doesn't affect us much. The drop in gas has been great but don't let that fool you to think there will be any savings anywhere else the huge corporations have us by our balls. Personally I would try growing your own. I do chickens cows hogs bees orchard and a garden. I freeze a lot and save those pennies in other places..

chuditch

$1.85 a gallon and there are 4 litres to a US gallon and we are paying that per litre in Australia and our fuel is the lowest it has been in years. Just worked out that is $7.40 a gallon not worrying about the exchange rate. Not sure what your tobacco tax is but if I buy a Fonseca 2-2 from the US it costs me $3. That same cigar in Australia is worth $18 in a tobacconist. A packet of 25 cigarettes is $25 here.

Texasgrown

Right now the usd is 1.27au dollar that is still crazy town. That would be ~18 a pack and 4.5 a gallon. No wonder you grow your own. Man you guys have it rough. When was in Perth years ago the usd was a little over 2 AU dollars. It was still very expensive. I remember a Burger King burger costing like 10-15 AU bucks with a red big beet on top of it.

bonehead

i am going out to fill up many 5 gallon cans for my generator this morning before the snow storm hits that could dump over 30 inches. cheap gas thankyou 5 gal times many cans. i need all the cheap gas i can cary.

Status
Not open for further replies.