Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing Tobacco question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnturkey

If I were going to plant 3 or 4 different kinds of Tobaccos, Do I need to plant them in different areas. Example, if you plant Cantaloupes and cucumbers in the same garden you will have small round cucumbers because of cross pollination.

Fisherman

If I were going to plant 3 or 4 different kinds of Tobaccos, Do I need to plant them in different areas. Example, if you plant Cantaloupes and cucumbers in the same garden you will have small round cucumbers because of cross pollination.

Im not sure you would have the small produce because of cross polination but maybe because both are heavy feeders???

Lots of people plant cucumbers on trellis above cantalopes or mellons thinking one will shade the other and dont realize they are such heavy feeders that they rob each other in a hurry. Here we say "faster than a New yawk second"

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/vegetables/cantalou.html

skychaser

Actually, cucumbers and cantaloupe won't cross. Cantaloupes are melons and in a different family than cucumbers. But tobacco will cross pollinate, and you need to bag the flower heads before any flowers open. Or plant them 1/4 mile or more apart.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
if they cross pollinate you won't know it by the plant growing differently, but next years plants will give you a surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.