Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Has anyone tried Kentucky Select Organic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekwyzrd

I don't have the space for enough plants to completely supply my mother and myself. I enjoy my tobacco but there are times when I have to buy tobacco to supplement my supply. Recently while looking for zen 100mm tubes (there seems to be a shortage) I decided to look at some tobaccos and came across kentucky select organic. According to the info on organic-smoke.com it's produced by Sun Butler who was involved in Natural American Spirit's organic and the short-lived Cornell and Diehl organic pipe dreams. It's made with organic tobacco including toasted burley and a bit of fruit juice, cane and agave syrup, and organic cocoa. Has anyone tried it? Opinions?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You're not allowed to promote tobacco growing sites like HowToGrowTobacco.com on this site...I don't know why, so don't ask.

Tek, Welcome back ;). What is the name of the site where this tobacco can be found?

tekwyzrd

The product's home page is organic-smoke.com. I found a good number of the online tobacco sources carry it. I've purchased some blending latakia and perique from pipesandcigars and they have it. The price is higher than non-organic but the manufacturer produces a 5 lb bag priced around $102. When you divide it into 6 oz lots the price per carton is comparable to what you pay for the other commercial brands like good stuff, 1839, and the others. Until now the only organic tobacco I had found was Santa Fe's American Spirit organic so I thought it was worth asking about. I asked on HTGT and the message was deleted with no reason given. It's described as a dual use cut suitable for pipes or cigarettes.

tekwyzrd

Here's a page from 2008 with info on commercial organic tobaccos.

Tobacco International

I feel it necessary to point out a seriously flawed statement included. They state:

"Vengeur Natural and Rowland Natural fall in the Virginia/Burley blend type, which traditionally contains Oriental. This created a problem for D&R: Oriental tobacco has never been successfully produced organically and can’t be used in an organic product. Still, Mark Ryan, Owner of D&R, wanted to maintain an Oriental presence. His solution has been to steam Oriental tobacco into syrup, distill it, and derive an Oriental essence that he puts in as a topping. That took some experimentation, but Ryan said the work was worth it. “Oriental adds to the balance of the blend.” "

Oriental tobacco has never been successfully produced organically? I have to disagree. The oriental strains I've grown have done quite well when grown organically.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The oriental strains I've grown have done quite well when grown organically.
Ditto. I think that bull falls in the same category as the statement that Perique won't grow outside of St. James Parish. It's either marketing hype or simple ignorance. (And then there's the FL Ag Extension Service official white paper that states that it's not possible or practical for a home grower to produce usable tobacco.)

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You guy have to remember...until about 3-4 years ago, there was no organized group to neither challenge nor confirm any of the ages old "facts" about tobacco. Sites like ours are just touching the tip of the iceberg...who knows what other accepted industry "facts" will eventually prove to be nothing more than myth.

I'll never forget when I first started growing, everyone said "I didn't think it would grow here". This information was not known accidentally...why would everyone have the same belief?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Years ago Big tobacco had all the farmers convinced that where we lived it is called the Burley Belt and was the only place burley could be grown . This was the same thing about flue that we couldn't raise flue tobacco here . Now that the buyout went through everyone is raising tobacco that us farmers were told we couldn't raise .. Dark fired in Ky , Green river perique , Flue . Now burley is being grown north of Kentucky and below Ky in Tenn, NC, VA .

This organic tobacco may not be as described . The company may be just labeling it as organic . Like some companies label their goods as Amish made or Amish owned just to make a sale .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...who knows what other accepted industry "facts" will eventually prove to be nothing more than myth.

You'll have to admit that it really takes the shine off of paying $7 or $12 or $25 for one cigar (or $2 for that matter), when you can produce better tobacco in your back yard.

"The winter sweat." "Master Torcedores." "Carefully aged." "Cuban expatriate cigar blenders." "The soil of the Vuelta Abajo." "Cuban seed." "Super premium."

It's all a load of bull. Learning to raise tobacco is as straightforward as learning to raise great tomatoes. Learning to roll a decent cigar is about as difficult as learning to make a good omelet. It doesn't require the Wizard of Oz to grow great tobacco. It's access to the seed and the knowledge (just what FTT offers!) that reveal that silly old man behind the screen.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.