Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is Latakia the Cilantro of the Tobacco World?

Express your love for Latakia!

• Love it!

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh, it's ok in small quantities

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

Just like cilantro (or coriander to our friends across the pond), some people love it, some hate it, and some (like myself) can tolerate it in small quantities. Living in Texas, I have the same love/hate relationship with tex-mex food. I don't mind a little cilantro in a ranchero sauce, but I fastidiously pick out any large pieces I find.

According to Wikipedia: Most people perceive the taste of coriander leaves as a tart, lemon/lime taste, but a smaller group, of about 4–14% of people tested, think the leaves taste like bath soap, as linked to a gene which detects aldehyde chemicals also present in soap.

Similar to cilantro, to me large doses of Latakia taste like soap. So, let's have a poll! What are your opinions on Latakia?

(Bob - another potential herb for your continuing home Latakia experiments)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Burning coriander whole, dried seed smells pleasant enough, but I'm not sure that it would add much to Latakia. I haven't had cilantro weed since I finally exterminated it from my garden bed a few years ago.

Bob

GreenDragon

Yes, I actually like coriander seeds - nice orangey earthy taste. I was just thinking that smoldering some fresh green cilantro leaves on top of some coals might produce some interesting aromas.

CobGuy

Latakia sees more time in my rotation when it's cooler weather ... much like darker beers.
Recently, I found some aged Dunhill Nightcap in my stash and I've got to say it's really delicious! :)

~Darin

GreenDragon

Yes, I hope everyone understands this thread is meant to be light hearted. I do have a rather dry sense of humor. Let’s have some fun and everyone vote! :)

And for the record, I do enjoy blends with Latakia in them, I just don’t want it to be too forward. In other words, I like a shot of tobasco on my fajitas, but I don’t want a whole chipotle! :p

fimbrew

Fresh it tastes like smoking incense (This is Cyprian). After sitting in a bag in a bag for a year it is like smoky perfume. I like it with some fire cured.

tullius

I'm on team latakia. Deer tongue is the cilantro of the tobacco world.

FTR, I like cilantro leaves on beef tacos with radish, cucumber, and avocado slices, topped with fresh lime juice and tapatio. Ground cilantro stems are an essential ingredient in satay sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.