Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is there any danger to breaking off seedlings at the root when thinning?

manfisher

As I thin my seedlings I notice I can't seem to pull out all of the roots, some of them break at the base of the stem while others break off further down into the soil. Is there any inherent danger to leaving those broken roots in the soil?

manfisher

Just put them in a bowl of water, slosh them around and the soil washes away leaving you with clean bare rooted seedlings ready to transplant.
Its not in the transplant process just the thinning out which means I cant wash them in water just yet. I will do that when I transfer to small solo cups

Havok

No, there is no issue with leaving those roots in the soil. If you are transplanting the ones that you have pulled out, with roots left behind, they may not all survive. But the roots left behind shouldn’t impact the seedlings in those cells.

Old Gasman

Its not in the transplant process just the thinning out which means I cant wash them in water just yet. I will do that when I transfer to small solo cups
Ah yes I misunderstood. I miss out the thinning stage myself, i go straight from seedling to cell or pot as I figure the less you move them the better.