Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Maintaining kiln humidity levels

UkFred

Hello all,

It's the first time ever I'm doing this, but I've just sown a few havana seeds and I'm hoping to be able to grow a couple plants in my garden and be able to complete all following stages (harvest - dry - ferment) to roll my own cigars (that's the dream!)

I've read a bit and looked at a few videos, and if I do get to the fermenting phase this year, I was thinking about using one of those cheap styrofome coolers with a low wattage aquarium ceramic light bulb to complete the task. I thought about using one of those Bluetooth thernometer/higrometer and keep it inside the box to keep track of temperature and humidity levels.

I haven't seen anyone do it this way, but to add humidity, I was thinking about introducing a couple of 70% boveda packages inside the box. Do you think this way of adding humidity would work? It's just strange no one has mentioned it, so I guess there must be something really wrong with this approach??

Many thanks for your thought!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Many of us have built what we call a “kiln” for fermenting our cured leaf. They can also double as mini flue curing chambers if you take up a pipe or cigarette that uses the Virginia flue cure types. ChinaVoodoo recently built what I think is the simplest and there are other build plans by members here on the forum. You can also use the box to air cure your leaf if your local climate goes a little wonky in terms of temps or humidity. Here is ChinaVoodoo’s build.