Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mark W's 2013 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

Howdy there Fisherman
Yes Big Bonner's plants look mighty nice. he has given some very good information on them which has helped me a lot.
I just wish we could get them over here, but it is like trying to find rocking horse manure none to be found.*

Markw

I had to remove some of my plants from the float tray as they were getting to big, I have transplanted them into 1 pint plastic beer glasses. I used these last year and they worked fine.,they will be going out into the plot next week. I also planted out some Silver River, BSS and some Ottomon last week to see how they would get on. (not long now hopefully )
I have also found a nice shady area for the CT shade .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the plants look good,

i like your REDNECK ingenuity, on making the planting/cups. out of bottles.

Markw

Hi Lads and thanks for the kind comments, Hi Taxed I hope you are well and your knee is fixed, Chicken once a redneck always a redneck, the cups work just fine and I can warm the water if I need to. BarG yes the Hue Hue looks a mighty fine plant it is growing faster than the YTB how tall does it grow Topped .

Markw

I have been away for a few weeks so have not up-dated the blog. All my plants are in I have 12 in pots and 80 in the ground. they are doing fine. Jacks NB11 looks a fine plant it is growing well. I am also doing a grow out on some TI712 and one of the plants from the seed is well different it is not a TI712 I was thinking of bagging this if it was any good. it is growing more like an Ottomon HY with a much wider leaf. I will try to post some more pictures in the next week or so. Happy growing everyone. !!

squeezyjohn

Good to see you're doing well Mark ... mine have been in the ground about a month now and have been sulking for ages. It hasn't helped that they've been attacked by slugs from above and then had voles digging tunnels under their root systems. I've had to stamp some of the ground back down around those ones!

What we need now in the UK is some nice hot weather!

Markw

Ha Ha I wish we could leave the heat on all year round or even have some in the summer. I have not had many problems with the slugs this year. My plants have started to bulk out over the last week and are looking ok. I have had some big problems with the CT shade and the yellow orinico they are well behind due to bad starter mix I expect it was old stock that I was sold as they had loads left over from last year due to the weather.
My Pots are doing ok I will try to post some pictures over the weekend. My computer is at the docters being repaired so I can only get on when I get access to my friends one.Usually Glastonberry week the weater is pants. well that,s what I told my daughter who is there ! It looks like it is going to be fine let hope that is lasts.

squeezyjohn

Yup - you can bet that Glastonbury will help summon the rain Gods over the UK!

I for one am very glad not to be working there this year ... every time I've played there it's absolutely pissed down.

Markw

At last managed to ge t some time to get some pictures up, I have been away working for a few weeks. This is to picture of my plot at home it was taken about a week ago
The weather here is very good and the plants are doing fine. I have an interesting plant that has come out of the TI 712 seed it looke more like a bursa I have bagged it. all the plants are now flowering now and have been baggged. I have had some problems with the CT shade and the Yellow Orinoco they will be a bit late pushing the bud.
I have also got a jumbo TN90 that I have bagged. Me thinking it is about time to start picking.

Number1.jpg

Here is a close up looking down on some of the plants

number3.jpg

And here are some pictures or the plants on the allotments that I have.

Number2.jpg

number4.jpg

I have also found ome very chap way of bagging the plants. I have use a special plastic with very small holes before, But have forun using the perferated bread wrap plastic is just the same and it is free when you buy a loaf.
I hope everyones season is going well, Will post some more pictures next week.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Are the hole is the bags small enough to keep pollen out?

That's been debated in other threads. Bob, Jessica, Sky, and even some smart people have all concurred that the purpose is to keep pollinating insects out. Tobacco does not pollinate by wind the way corn does.

DonH

That's been debated in other threads. Bob, Jessica, Sky, and even some smart people have all concurred that the purpose is to keep pollinating insects out. Tobacco does not pollinate by wind the way corn does.
That's good to know because yesterday I bagged a couple of Xanthi Yaka that were 4ft from some Rustica that had flowered and weren't bagged. I was worried some pollen from the Rustica were already on the Xanthi buds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The rustica will not pollinate tabacum, and there is only a slight chance that the tabacum can pollinate the rustica. Insect pollination between varieties of N. tabacum has been shown to occur at separation distances of as much as 1/2 mile.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.