Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

marksctm 2013 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I got me a weather rock now, if the rock is shinny... it's raining, if it's white... it's snowing, if you can't see it... it's night. Should be more accurate than the weather man.

ROFL. That's funny I don't care who you are!!

DGBAMA

Love the weather rock idea. lol.

How many viable leaves on the Silver River when they showed flower buds? Mine are just starting to grow GOOD and would be interested to know when I should expect to see flowering.

marksctm

ROFL. That's funny I don't care who you are!!
I'm telling ya, are weather mans a joke.

Love the weather rock idea. lol.

How many viable leaves on the Silver River when they showed flower buds? Mine are just starting to grow GOOD and would be interested to know when I should expect to see flowering.
I'll have to check and count tomorrow DGBAMA, but as soon as you see the least little sign of suckers, you should see buds soon, 65 days after being put in the ground, that was the case with mine anyway.

DGBAMA

Thanks Chris, "days in ground" has not meant crap here for me, probably the weather. Different heights, different sizes, different leaf counts, etc. My Havannah is just getting a couple plants with flower buds and the only consistency I see so far is that the ones budding are 20-22 viable leaves. Figure this might be an indicator I can use for other varieties too if I know how many leaves each normally produces; which would help with planning topping, bagging, harvest, etc.

marksctm

It will be interesting to compare the size and physical characteristics of the leaves at harvest.
John,
These are the 2 Florida Sumatra's, first leaf is grown in shade, about 90 minutes of sun.
And the second leaf gets full sun.
Both are same age and planted at same time.
Might get some good wrapper yet!, or some binder and filler anyway.

DSCN3199.jpgDSCN3198.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
These are the 2 Florida Sumatra's, first leaf is grown in shade, about 90 minutes of sun.
And the second leaf gets full sun.
Both are same age and planted at same time.
Might get some good wrapper yet!, or some binder and filler anyway.
Excellent comparison pics. Thank you. Now on with color curing etc. Please let me know how you like them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The sun-grown leaf appears to already be a bit past time to prime it. In the shade-grown pic, the lower leaf (in the upper right corner of the photo) looks ready for priming for wrapper, regardless of its size. Once the texture starts to show corrugation, it's time. If you prime them later, the kilned leaf will be darker and thicker, but can still make nice wrapper.

Bob

marksctm

Excellent comparison pics. Thank you. Now on with color curing etc. Please let me know how you like them.
Thank you John, And your welcome, I will keep you informed.

The sun-grown leaf appears to already be a bit past time to prime it. In the shade-grown pic, the lower leaf (in the upper right corner of the photo) looks ready for priming for wrapper, regardless of its size. Once the texture starts to show corrugation, it's time. If you prime them later, the kilned leaf will be darker and thicker, but can still make nice wrapper.

Bob
When I posted those pictures I was hoping for your insight.
I had a feeling I'd had let them gone too long, was looking for the best leaf size and waited a bit too long.
Next time when I think their ABOUT! ready to prime, I'm going to prime them.
I just came inside, the shade leaf, all but the smaller top leaf, is primed now and in the shed.
I'm going to prime all of the sun grown Florida Sumatra, and all my Dutch today.
My cigarette tobacco I wanted to go a little past it's prime.
My TN-90 and Silk leaf have to be primed next.
Not quite sure what I'm looking for in the Shirey.

Thank you Bob for your help, and everything you do.

TN-90
DSCN3172.jpgDSCN3175.jpg

Silk leaf
DSCN3203.jpg

Shirey
DSCN3202.jpg

marksctm

Well I'm trying some of Chickens vertical stringing
2 leafs, with 2 wraps around the stem, then over the top to the next 2 leafs.
DSCN3211.jpg

I took the Dutch that could still be handled and restrung, then what was fresh primed today.
Spaced different on separate strings to see any difference between the 2.
And the longer ones have about 50 leafs.

I'm kind of worried about the mass, but it's going to cool down, then warm up this weekend, and fan is on, so I just hope mold is not an issue.

DSCN3206.jpg DSCN3219.jpg
DSCN3204.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.