Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

perique making

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I feel it is even pressure, those are two 2x6 half moons. My biggest problem is getting the “lid” out of the pot. I have two holes drilled at an angle (not all the way) in each half moon so I can stick a large nail in the hole to pry the half lid off. It’s under a lot of pressure. I don’t have a way to monitor heat, etc. I sprayed the de-stemmed leaves with what amounted to about a cup and half of distilled water. This is more off a trial by error, hope I get lucky, experiment!
Do you have enough water that the surface forms a complete liquid seal?

Yug

I use clamps on a wooden circle slightly narrower than the neck of the jar. I use plastic sheets in contact with the tobacco under the wooden circle. These plastic sheets extend far beyond the neck of the jar and allow me to pull the wooden ring out when I remove the clamps.
plast.jpg

Yug

My "perique" from last year (2020) is not good, but I know why: it stayed the first 6 months without a satisfactory liquid seal made with water above the level. Then I put enough water on top, but although it has a slightly fruity smell, the smell of the backyard dominates after a year under pressure. Used in very small amounts (3%) in my blends, it can pass, but I preferred to throw it away.
On the other hand, for this year, in a phase of aeration yesterday, I took some of my new "perique" (which has always had a good liquid seal) to taste it: it is excellent after three months of fermentation. I made a blend with 60% virginia flue cured, 5% cavendish, 25% kentucky fire cured and 10% of my perique and it is very good. The experience and advice of this forum strongly encourage me to continue making my perique.