Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squeezyjohn's 2013 UK Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

Ah nuts!

Lost a load of rustica leaf to mould as well! I had been checking it but it goes mouldy in a different way to the N.Tabacum - starting on the lamina, not the mid-rib as small black dots and a distinctly nasty mushroomy smell ... this bunch is completely ruined.

I'm starting to lose the faith. This is too hard!

squeezyjohn

Thanks for the tips guys ... but I fear I was too late with this one ... the vinegar does work to some extent - but not for long in these conditions.

squeezyjohn

Harvest and colour curing is done here ... the wet 100% humidity has consigned a fair amount of leaf to the compost heap due to mould issues ... but it's probably less than 10% of the leaf that I've grown so I would see that as a success.

The rest is now either tied up in twists or carrottes to age nicely indoors - or in low case and vacuum sealed to continue hanging next year once the weather has improved in the spring.

All in all - this years harvest is a total thumbs up!

jekylnz

John nz can be similar in winter (probably not quite as wet).you need to get your leaf pretty low case before storing here..or you can get the same mold issues your having. I had sime go like that when it was to wet..I just left it in the sun for a day or two and it doesn't have a moldy smell any more..I bring it into preferred case before shredding.

workhorse_01

If I've been reading his blog right, He has an allotment which is a barn and maybe a 1/8 of an acre with no power. I think it's a primitive type small garden spot, that he pays dearly for. No disrespect intended john. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

squeezyjohn

My deal is this ... yes the planting area is just a little over 1/8 of an acre with a small shed that I've built myself from scrap materials. There's no power on the site, no running water ... nothing. I certainly don't pay dearly for the site in cash £15 per year is probably the cheapest land rental you can get in this country. However - I do pay dearly for it in the amount of extra hard work you have to do to get gardening to work somewhere so off-grid ... growing the tobacco is fairly easy ... curing it is a different matter!

Of course I don't live out there :rolleyes: I have a small house in a village close by. We even have the internet there! As well as hot and cold running water and electricity.

However - I have a family with young children in this small space so I hope you understand that I don't wish to fill every available ceiling with hands of curing tobacco ... I don't want them to think it's an exciting thing because I hope that they will grow up to be not dependent on the stuff like I am. And when their friends come around to play - I don't want the parents giving me funny looks - I get those anyway for growing my own vegetables ... but with tobacco there's a chance that they'd get the impression that I'm some kind of covert drugs dealer ... that's how people in my area tend to think.

So I just have to try and come up with innovative ways to use the allotment space for curing well. I will be making alterations to the shed in the next few months to try and get better insulation in there, better air flow, and I will be experimenting with making some kind of solar heat exchanger to warm up the place a bit like the video that was kindly posted up earlier.

squeezyjohn

Well knock me down with a feather!!!

I was just driving through Oxford today past a different allotment site and I noticed right by the road a nice patch of tobacco - properly topped and primed with only a few top leaves left on the stalks - a neat grid of about 30 plants 4-5ft high.

I don't know who the guys were running the patch which is only a few roads away from where I used to live - and I don't go on that site as it's padlocked - but it gave me a nice fuzzy feeling of connection to know that a fellow allotmenteer is growing tobacco not 4 miles away from me. Might have to go up and say hello if I see them in there.

springheal

I would say make every effort to talk to the person/s at the other allotment should you spot them one day. As you are very limited with regards to resources, you may get some very helpful local tips.

No power,water,suitable curing space would be a challenge for anyone.

I reckon you have done a sterling job John.

squeezyjohn

Thanks Springheal ... I will see if anyone's there any time I'm passing.

The allotments I discovered this tobacco growing is a little more refined in it's facilities ... my wife used to have a plot on that site when we lived in Oxford city - at least they have mains water there.

My hunch is that if they're growing tobacco that they're probably not English! Maybe some of the many Polish people who are working in the area at the moment. But whoever they are ... I think talking to them would be a good thing!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Shoot, yeah, maybe a source for some new varieties and Polish sausage. Try to bring them into the forum fold so we can all pick their brains. My postman has been watching my grow all season and now he wants some seed to make some chew, you just never know....

jekylnz

At least you guys can swap what you know about tobacco. .it sounds like they may have some good input how to cure in the conditions where you are...sounds like they've been at it for a while. ..

Also have you thought about using a gas fan heater?
2013-10-28-12-54-52--627687425.jpeg
I think they come in diesel as well? ? Just a thought? ?

workhorse_01

Leave them a message that reads "We'd love to have you join www.fairtradetobacco.com" Have a nice day.
Well knock me down with a feather!!!

I was just driving through Oxford today past a different allotment site and I noticed right by the road a nice patch of tobacco - properly topped and primed with only a few top leaves left on the stalks - a neat grid of about 30 plants 4-5ft high.

I don't know who the guys were running the patch which is only a few roads away from where I used to live - and I don't go on that site as it's padlocked - but it gave me a nice fuzzy feeling of connection to know that a fellow allotmenteer is growing tobacco not 4 miles away from me. Might have to go up and say hello if I see them in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.