Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Using WLT'S bacca for making snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

I can do nothing but give a very strong recommendation to use WLT'S bacca when making top-notch snus.
Have used VA 309 and Dark Air Cured leaves when making snus with my new approach to the making.
I have also made snus from Latakia but haven't yet tried it since I let it rest for 2 weeks after the making.
Think it would be absolutely necessery to keep a high temp ( 100 C ) or 200 F in the process to make it taste completley different to all the other batches I've made.
Time , I heattreat it in my owen for one week with bacca , water and salt.
I add the potash or sodiumcarbonate AFTER the heatprocess and then let it rest for about 2 weeks in the fridge.
With any question the best snus I've ever done .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Have you tried adding the Sodium Carbonate during the heat process? Also, are you using Sodium or Potassium Carbonate?

POGreen

Yes I have JBD , but I would say that I prefer to use it after the heatprocess.
Mostly because it does not smell as much from the owen or whatever one uses for a heatsource as it does when using it during the same process.
Lately I mostly used potash or as you say potassium Carbonate.

jojjas

I have try both potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate and i prefer the potasium , in my opinion it gives a little different taste to the better , i have not tested the P O Green method:p to add it after heatreatment but i will surely do , infact it`s i have a batch in the owen right in this moment but i have to wait another 4 days before it`s ready
Report on the outcome will be stated "lol"

POGreen

Yesterday and today I've snuck up some snus made from WLT's Latakia 1997 Edition under my lip and must say that it does taste ALOT.
Kinda hard to give you the exact type of taste it has , if someone would kick my butt abit and suggest something , I might find it easier......:rolleyes:
I'd say that it is pretty strong too , but not meaning too strong in any way.
Without any doubt whatsoever a nice change to my own regular snus , Dark Air Cured and FireCured VA 309.
It's something like FireCured , but soo much more than that , guess you could call it complicated.
A day on snus for me has started to be like using my own in da mornin , Dark Air after lunch , afternoon coffee FC VA 309 and evening my own again.
Might have a Latakia when I feel its time for a break to something completely different.
Like to use different kinds of snus during the day.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Like to use different kinds of snus during the day.

I do that with the dip I make. Right now I am on a Black Licorice kick but in a few week's it'll probably be maple syrup or apple flavored. It's nice to be able to make your own stuff suited to what you like, not what a manufacturer has to offer.

POGreen

Couldn't agree with you more JBD.

Like last year I was growing 24 different varieties where SSBM was the predominating variety of them all ( 10 % ). Makes me think that just this variety makes a major '' footprint'' in my snus , but can't say for sure .......
And as I believe it is said , the SSBM is a premium variety to make snus and cigars out of , seems to very true.

jojjas

Could not resist anymore , got to try the POGreen method snus i made last week .
Flour of 200 gr (7.05 oz) WLt latakia 300 gr (10.5 oz) half my own and half WLT izmir , and 0.8 l water , 100 gr (3.5 oz) salt , 120 hours in 95°C (203°F)
And how does it taste then , awesome according to my preference , i think it taste just like a real
smoky Scottish single malt like Ardbeg or Lagavulin , just awesome
20140511_171435.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

POGreen

Sounds to me that you like it , jojjas ?
I'm glad if you do , and thanks for describing it so very well , its really somethin different to the snus you buy in sweden today.
However , there is nothing complicated at all with the recipe , its just that I do it over 24/7 . One week around the clock at at least 95 C and at the most 100 C or 212 F.
Take it out from the owen at least 1 time during the day to stir the flour around + might add some more water if necessary.
Add the potash or sodium carbonate after the heatprocess and let it rest for 2 weeks in a fridge.
I use 15-20 gr of potash to 500 gr of flour.

POGreen

Could create problems for some I guess , occupying the owen for a hole week.
A friend of mine got himself a pressurecooker on eBay for some 80 € including shipping worldwide.
According to him he can reduce that week into 8 effective hours and have the same quality , a major difference.
How is a pressurecooker compared to a crockpot ?
Or its the same thing ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A pressure cooker (or autoclave) is a tightly sealed container with a restricted vent (often a small weight resting on a venturi in the lid) that retains 15 psi of pressure within the container. So, water boils at 121ºC.

A Crockpot is a simple ceramic crock with an ordinary lid, all nested in an electric heating element. It's generally used to slowly simmer food (a stew, for example) for 4 to 24 hours without scorching the food.

Bob

leverhead

How is a pressurecooker compared to a crockpot ?
Or its the same thing ?

A pressure cooker is a sealed vessel with a release valve to limit the internal pressure to 5, 10 or 15 Lbs/ per square inch. The temperature of boiling water goes up with the increase in pressure. With time, air inside is also displaced through the valve. The volume inside becomes nearly pure steam at a very uniform temperature. While the temperature remains stable, the steam moves a very large amount of heat (compared to air). Any process inside that consumes heat, cooking, chemical reactions in the Snus (???), will get more heat to work with. At the higher temperatures, you'd probably want to use glass oven ware rather than a plastic tub to hold the tobacco.

OOOPs, sorry Bob, I type slow in the morning.

POGreen

A pressure cooker (or autoclave) is a tightly sealed container with a restricted vent (often a small weight resting on a venturi in the lid) that retains 15 psi of pressure within the container. So, water boils at 121ºC.

A Crockpot is a simple ceramic crock with an ordinary lid, all nested in an electric heating element. It's generally used to slowly simmer food (a stew, for example) for 4 to 24 hours without scorching the food.

Bob

Okay Bob , I got it figured out.
leverhead , understand your reply as well.
My friend with the pressure cooker said it was the best snus he'd made.Very efficient indeed.Must be in this way like the big companies make their snus I guess , using a much bigger cooker ofcourse.

Here it is :
$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Multikocher-..._Heimwerker_Dampfreiniger&hash=item43c22ff789

You had to pay 10 € for the shipping , sorry , makes a total of 90 €.

POGreen

Next variety I'm gonna try is the [h=1]Flue Cured Virginia Red Leaf , it'll be here in about 3 weeks.[/h]Can't imagine myself anything else than it will be just exquisite like the other varieties I tried. VA 309 FireCured , DarkAir Cured and the Latakia.
We're lucky to have such a good supplier.

POGreen

A Whole Lot of TobaccoLeaves arrived today from Don , 4 Ibs of Virginia Red Leaf , which ofcourse is gonna be made into snus.
Will be an experience richerafter this , think I'll just make a pound of it for starters.
Going to be very exciting to see what it'll taste like........:p

Status
Not open for further replies.