Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Winds of the world. Looks like something Bob would post

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Dazzling. It's hard to imagine all the worldwide sensors and analysis technology that is fed into it.

Click the "hamburger" in the lower left to show different features.

Bob

webmost

Mid 19th century American naval lieutenant Matthew Maury came up with a genius idea to gather observations recorded in ships' logs per month and chart the averages. The oceans were divided into grids. The average direction was for the month was marked in each grid by an arrow. The number of feathers on the arrow indicated the average force. Temp in a circle. Tens of thousands of reports averaged by hand.
pilot-chart325x219.png

The birth of climatology.

When I was sailing my schooner I would pore over these old pilot charts hour after hour day after day when planning a voyage.

Nothing new. Dumbed down and animated.

Last edited by a moderator:

LewZephyr

That's an awesome find.
I spent a while going through the options. Was pretty damn interesting with the ocean currents, or air flow at different altitudes.

Thanks for the share.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
By selecting various options to display particulates, chemicals, etc., you can spot massive fires, industrial emissions, temperature patterns.

The current values (temp, RH, wind speed) immediately beneath the circular cursor are displayed on the mid-left.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.