Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapper for Cuban short cut tobacco

Sparky

I have some plugged Cuban cigars that I wanted to unwrap and reroll. For the record they are Rafael Gonzales panatelas. They are not expensive or long filler, but, I wanted to find a sweet wrapper leaf that would compliment the blend. Not looking to recreate the blend, I just want to add some sweetness to this tobacco. Any suggestions would be great as I’ve never attempted something like this before.

Sparky

So to give a bit more info on this idea..

I’m planning on making small, short-filler minutos, or about 4x38-40rg. I’m open to something unconventional or outside the box here, like non-cigar tobaccos. I realize sweet is highly subjective when it comes to tobacco. Was thinking about using a flue cured Virginia tobacco as a binder/wrapper. Anyone ever try something like this?

Sparky

Do a search for rolling cigarillos. There are some good info in how to cut the wrapper. As for the flu cured VA, roll one and try it, but I would suspect it isn’t the sweet you’re after. Maybe a nice maduro.
You might be right about it’s not the sweet I’m after. I generally don’t find cigar tobacco “sweet” per se, so I was kind of wondering if there are other tobacco’s that have this quality. When I think sweet tobacco, I think of red man that I used to chew back in high school. In some ways I guess that’s the sweet tobacco flavor I’m looking for in smoking form.

Sparky

That's not a tobacco flavor. That's the flavor of an additive (or more likely a collection of additives).

Bob
Yea I know, I’m referring more to the nostalgia of the flavor, not looking to smoke red man. Just wondering If there is a naturally sweet variety of leaf, that adds that characteristic to a blend.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I like the @jclif43 suggestion of the Maduro. If you wrap it around the Nicaraguan filler it tastes like a Padron. Not sweet like a swisher sweet but a nice mild hint of sweetness like a Padron. It's my favorite wrapper. I'm terrible at describing flavors.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you really want to approximate the Red Man nostalgia, then you could roll any old cigar of whatever tobaccos. Once the head is closed, mist the head with a flavoring brew, then allow it to fully dry.

from the following link:

Chewing Tobacco:
Products:
Red Man (RM)
Red Man Golden Blend (RMGB)
Red Man Silver Blend (RMSB)
Red Man Select (RMS)
Granger Select (GS)
Work Horse (WH)
Brown Mule's Plug (BMP)
Natural Leaf Plug (NLP)
Red Man Plug (RMP)
Tinsley Plug (TP)
All Reviewed Products (Unless Noted):
Sucrose ("flavour"-- common table sugar): 13.9 - 22.4% (not included in RMSB)
Corn Syrup ("flavour"): 10.5 - 14.7% (all but RMSB and BMP)
Sodium Chloride ("taste enhancer"): 0.3 - 2.2%
Licorice ("flavour"): 1.1 - 6.8% (6.8% as outlier; next highest is 1.9%)
Glycerol ("humectant"-- for retaining moisture): 0.3 - 3.5%
Propylene Glycol ("humectant"): 0.6 - 2.2% (highest in chew, lowest in plug)
Natural and Artificial Flavours: 0.7 - 1.8% for chew, 0.1% for all plug except RMP @ 1.7%
[who knows what these are]
Sodium Saccharine ("sweetener"): 0.1 - 0.2%
Sodium Benzoate ("preservative"): 0.1%
Potassium Sorbate ("preservative"): 0.1 - 0.3% (not included in BMP)

Mollasses (flavour):
Included in RM, RMGB, RMS, GS, WH, RMP at 5.5 - 6.4%

Sodium Bicarbonate ("acidity regulator"):
Included in RM, RMSB, WH, RMP at 0.1%'

Bob

Sparky

I might have trouble sourcing some of those preservatives… but I appreciate it! I’ll take that answer as a No to my question though. lol. Might be fun to make a red man style chew when I get a bit more learned.

If it were me I would wrap it in a Condega viso, Corojo viso or Corojo ligero . As wrappers I find them sweet and maybe a touch of white pepper.
I like that idea a lot, but might try for a seco for binder/wrapper. To be honest though Rafael Gonzales doesn’t have a big nic kick so ligero wouldn’t be out of the question here. I haven’t smoked a Non Cuban cigar for at least a decade but I was into them at one point.