Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can someone explain Hungarian and Maryland, as compared to Virgina and Burley

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Looking at GRIN's site, I noticed that they grouped certain strains into Hungarian and Maryland.
Can someone explain the varieties as compared to other plants.

skychaser

You found Maryland as a type classification on there? I never could. All of the 5 types of Marylands I have grown have a distinctive plant form, leaf shape, have a rather distinctive taste and air cure a light reddish brown. The tend to have a broad conical shape, get 5-6 feet in height, produce a large, fairly wide and pointed leaf and are heavy producers. When ever I smoke any Maryland tobacco I think of Marlboros for some reason. Many people like Marylands as cigar fillers.

Hungarian Tobaccos are orientals. The defining characteristic which separate Hungarians from Turkish and other orientals is the flower head, which is very dense with flowers that are tightly packed. It generally remains below the last set of leaves instead of rising above and spreading out like most tobaccums. They look kind of like cauliflower heads to me.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Turkish varieties were developed in countries that made up the old Ottoman Empire. The Hungarians were developed in countries making up the old Austro - Hungarian Empire. While both are considered Orientals there are some distinct differences between the Turks and the Hungarians. I think I read the Hungarians and Eastern Europeans preferred a heavier tasting smoke.

Marylands are very mild and low in nicotine. I really like it in a cigarette blend, replacing some of the Burley to help offset the harshness of the Burley. Then I add a little Dark Air cured (high nicotine) to bring the nicotine back up. My latest blends are 40% flue cure, 20% Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Turkish Izmir. Pretty smooth but with enough nicotine kick to be satisfying. Very flavorful.

Good thread on Hungarians: http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/forum/showthread.php?1814-About-quot-Hungarian-quot-varieties

Thread on Marylands: http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/forum/showthread.php?439-Maryland-tobacco

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There are two notable characteristics of many Maryland varieties, in addition to those mentioned above:
  • lower nicotine
  • the higher ability of the cured leaf to absorb water and absorb casings

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my blend is very close to what knucklehead has posted,

i add maryland 609 for a little kick to my dark-air,,,,va. bright leaf mix,

but i got about 8 varities to choose from, sometimes the blend aint exacttly what i want,,

i do a test cigg. when i make them, and add accordinglly sometimes i strenghten it, sometimes i weaken it,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
my blend is very close to what knucklehead has posted,

i add maryland 609 for a little kick to my dark-air,,,,va. bright leaf mix,

but i got about 8 varities to choose from, sometimes the blend aint exacttly what i want,,

i do a test cigg. when i make them, and add accordinglly sometimes i strenghten it, sometimes i weaken it,

Me too. I don't weigh mine, I put little pieces of tape on the container under the shredder and go by percentages of volume instead of weight. Then test it and add what it needs. I get awfully close, most times it's fine as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.