Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cool weather growing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My worry was that it does not get hot and the cold nights. So my worries are for nothing, cool.

Thanks,
Oeno

Your cool climate will produce highly reduced nicotine levels in your plants. The "pots" you're growing in is a major concern to me. Anything less than a true 5 gallon bucket would be worthless. Remember proper drainage and soil composition are crucial.

Build a cover made of clear plastic to amplify the temperature for your plants while leaving the sides open to allow for proper ventilation or air flow.

Curing your crop shouldn't be a problem in your climate. Please search curing information in the forum.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
cheaper "topsoil" bags will do well. Potting mix is fine but overkill. I have read a couple people here have had good luck by simply putting the bag of topsoil on the ground, cutting an X in the middle of the bag, and putting plant in the middle. Let the bag be the "pot".

This method will likely lead to drowned plants. If you can somehow suspend the bag to allow for proper drainage, it might work. Tobacco roots do best when they are dry.

oeno

The other day it got cold here. Some of the vineyards around here were under frost alerts. Real late in the season for us to have frost here on the central coast of California. It looks like spring does not want to come for us.

So I was think I might want to put the young seedlings in a gallon pot for short term before transplanting them to the 5+ gallon pot. This way I can keep them in a warm protected area of the property so the can grow better. What do you think?

DonH

The other day it got cold here. Some of the vineyards around here were under frost alerts. Real late in the season for us to have frost here on the central coast of California. It looks like spring does not want to come for us.

So I was think I might want to put the young seedlings in a gallon pot for short term before transplanting them to the 5+ gallon pot. This way I can keep them in a warm protected area of the property so the can grow better. What do you think?
Makes sense. When is the latest date for last frost in your area?

oeno

Not for us its a sing of winter. We do not get many days of frost or days in the 30s. Most frost is in January and February. Its rare enough that they grow avocados around here.

Webby

Hi Oeno,
I think we have about the same climate, we quite often get well below 50 f in the summer at nights and 85f is about our max. We live beside a mountainous range at about 1800 ft. I'm down under so our season is ova but at the beginning of the season we got hit by a late frost. The plants had been out to harden for about 10 days in a sheltered area but still exposed and they made it, lost me chillies a couple of tomatoes and some egg plants. If they are hardened off good I would plant out and invest in some frost cloth, you can reuse for many a season and if like here the weather can surprise, just cover using stakes to keep the weight off. Less stress for the plants and you.
We are coming into winter now and have already had a few frosts and the temps are low. Below is a plant that I found while spraying, self seeded and going strong. It has survived 3 good frosts, don't think it will survive the glyphosate though.

Photo0034.jpg

Admittedly it is kinda sheltered, but they are a hardy plant.
Above all have fun in the sun. We got cats and dogs here.:cool:

oeno

Webby, yeah covering for frost is a must and we get frost warnings from our local news stations. My thinking is putting the plants in the protective area first then to the big pots, I will avoid frost issues and give the a good start.

Hey it sounds like your on the south Island. Beautiful country you live in. I worked in Martinborough for a vintage. I hope its not getting to cold or Central Otago is going to have a rough harvest if they haven't pulled all the grapes in yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.