Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

CV Grow 2024 - Japanese Tobaccos

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
75" tall, and thirty-two 6"x13" leaves.

When grown at "American", wide spacing between plants (24-36 inches) several Basma varieties that I have grown reached similar sizes. But the very same varieties, planted at traditional, Turkish, close spacing (6-9 inches between plants), grow to around 36 inches tall, with 4"x7" leaves.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

When grown at "American", wide spacing between plants (24-36 inches) several Basma varieties that I have grown reached similar sizes. But the very same varieties, planted at traditional, Turkish, close spacing (6-9 inches between plants), grow to around 36 inches tall, with 4"x7" leaves.

Bob
Right. American planting sounds like less work.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Right. American planting sounds like less work.
There are differences in the qualities of the Oriental tobacco, when grown close vs. wide. The close planting (with smaller leaves and lower yield) provides the richest "Oriental", floral aromas, whereas with wide planting, the more abundant, finished leaf is not as characteristic of Oriental. Either provides useable tobacco. Specifically for pipe blending, I've preferred the product of close planting.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I use 6"-9" spacing of a Basma type, within a 5'x6' bed (which, due to a decade of sneaky, sod encroachment, is probably about 4'x5' now), the finished leaf completely fills a bushel [35.2391 liter] basket. By sun-curing on the stalk, the greatest increase in labor, for producing lots of smaller plants, is starting and transplanting the seedlings—a pain in the butt.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Stalk sun curing is pretty difficult if your humidity is low and your growing season length is hard to predict. We're in an extended madmax drought.

My second year, ever, I air cured small Bursa leaves in an expanding laundry basket which I shook up every day.

type-a-pop-up-laundry-hamper-7d7ed820-b94d-4d4e-985b-3911de9a2f41-jpgrendition.jpg
Bob, do you find the plants on the outside of your beds get taller than the ones on the inside? Is it mostly root spacing that affects plant size?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
do you find the plants on the outside of your beds get taller than the ones on the inside?
Garden20230704_7085_XanthiYaka18a_bed_600.jpg

These are at about 8 weeks after transplant. Since I have sod surrounding the bed, the average daily shade from trees seems to determine relative height. As you can see, the outer plants are within 4"-6" of the sod margin.

Hatano is a 3' plant with 8"x16" leaves. It looks like polygon grew them around 18" spacing. Do you think that I could grow them closer than that without compromising total production?
I'm unfamiliar with it. I would likely opt for 12"-15" spacing, and see what I got. Keep in mind that Little Dutch, which grows to about 3', has a massively thick stalk, and does best at 24" spacing. [I believe that Little Dutch is short only because of its decreased distance between leaf nodes.]

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Today I discovered that last year's failure to start poppies indoors was because they need cold stratification.

I now have half-known apples, unknown, forgotten variety of purple table grapes, and giganthemum poppies on the garage floor. The apples and grapes were outside before the 20° drop that occurred yesterday.

20240226_110203.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

Perhaps this is some kind of mistake. This is not Little Dutch. Little Dutch has a long and narrow leaf.
We weren't saying that. We were simply talking about how plant height usually, but not always, correlates with plant girth. I shared the photo to show that in this case, Hatano is a slender plant, and very different from Little Dutch.