Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

dubhelix's 2014 grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubhelix

This is my first year growing, and my first year gardening in central Virginia. I have acquired seed for the following varieties, with the goal of producing snus and pipe tobacco, and perhaps a few cigars.

Madole
Small Stalk Black Mammoth
Shirey
Bolivian Criollo Black
Wisconsin 901
Yellow Oronoko
Long Red
Aztec Rustica
Izmir Ozbis
Perique ( thanks Hasse!)
A-Hus (thanks Hasse!)

Perhaps I should include a good burley, as I don't think any of the above are burley (perhaps the Bolivian Criollo?). All I know about these varieties is what the seed companies had to say, plus what I've read on this forum. Special thanks to the jojjas and Hasse for advice and seeds!

I am starting 50 cells per week, the first set was Madole, planted on 2.9.14. Probably too early, but I'm eager. I'm hoping the extra deep planting trays and a "haircut" will hold the plants until my estimated planting date of 4.15.14. The seed I got from Skychaser is strong. I guess this week I'll find some tiny scissors and thin them out. Looks like I missed a cell. Oops.
photo-7.jpg

The seeds are started in SureRoots cell trays, which are very deep. I think they are designed for tree starts.
photo-14.jpg
I am using a 50/50 mix of peat moss and vermiculite, with a
4mm top layer of straight peat moss on top. The cells sit in 1020's, with a half inch of water in the bottom. The trays are under six 32w / 6500K T-8 fixtures. If I run out of room under the T-8's, I have a 150w HPS I could use, but it's annoying to be near. I used a soda straw cut with scissors at a sharp angle to scoop seeds from the packages and deposit them into the divots in the peat moss, it worked well.
On 2.16.14 I planted 25 cells of Yellow Oronoko and 25 of Shirey.

I have a couple of options regarding where to plant, each with some drawbacks.
-The top of the front pasture gets full sun, but is pretty much just red clay. Will tobacco grow well in Virginia Clay? Seems like folks 300 years ago managed.
-The bottom of the front pasture has nice black soil, but when it rains hard, there's running water through the middle of it. Maybe too wet? Maybe I could trench the creek and plant along side it.
-Up on the hill there's full sun, and good dirt, and no creek, but the wife would prefer me to plant in the fenced pastures.
Perhaps I'll plant a patch in each location and see what does well in different conditions.

I intend on using only organic fertilizers and pest controls if I can, any advice regarding natural soil supplements for Virginia Clay would be appreciated. I did get a pH/NPK test kit so I can get a benchmark on those levels. What happens if I do nothing to the soil? I don't know. Will deer trample tobacco? Probably. If everything goes perfectly, and I plant every variety, I'll have just over 300 plants. That's a lot of tilling, and a lot of manure if I go by my organic gardening book's recommendation. I'm thinking about marking off the plots and just tilling individual holes to conserve labor, manure and supplements. I've been saving all the ashes from my woodstove, and should have a 30 gallon trash bin full by the time it's warm/dry enough to till. I also have 20 acres of forest from which I could take leaf mulch. So much to learn, and so much to do.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have Alabama red clay and my plants could have done a lot better last year with looser soil. I plan to till in rotten sawdust and sand this year, plus some composted manure. I'll get the soil test after the soil has been amended. Have you considered renting a tractor and pto driven tiller for the first year? It would be much easier to work in your amendments and after that your garden tiller should be fine once you're not dealing with straight clay.

Those seedling inserts are awesome. Where did you find them?

DGBAMA

I like the deep inserts. Looks like good germination too.

As for the forgotten cell, just transplant a couple from one of the crowded cells. At this point they should have about a 1.5" taproot but loosen the soil with a toothpick around one of the clusters and just gently lift straight up on one of the extra seedlings with a pair of tweesers and a light touch. should lift out root and all. They are tough little guys and even at this small size will take a transplant better than you would think. Last year I did my germination in bulk trays and at about that size transplanted them (tedious) to separate cells. Not a single one died from the transplant.

dubhelix

Those seedling inserts are awesome. Where did you find them?

I ordered them from " greenhouse megastore ". I originally wanted to do float trays, but was disappointed to learn that the speedling inserts don't fit in 1020 trays. These seemed like they would have sufficient room for nice long roots. When thinning the seedlings, I did as DGBAMA suggested and moved a couple into the empty cell. I was surprised at how deep the little taproot went.

dubhelix

I ran my initial soil tests today. I chose a spot in the lower pasture that showed evidence of having been cultivated in the past, gets full sun on a southern facing slope, and drains well. As the recent snows melted, the rise and fall of garden rows were visible, so I thought it might be a good spot. The pH test was neutral, perhaps slightly alkaline, which I understand is not unusual in clay soils. The N and P levels tested so low that I saw almost no tint whatsoever, disregarding the haze from the clay sediment. The K level read as "low". So basically, neutral, empty clay. That there ground is going to need a lot of help.
photo-16.jpg

I think I'll test the area up near the forest, and see if it is any more fertile.

dubhelix

photo-17.jpg

Madole seedlings at 18 days from planting seed. I think I ought to water with some dilute fish emulsion, as the growing media is devoid of nutrients. If anyone thinks that's a terrible idea, let me know.
photo-18.png

The little leaves are covered in hairs, and each hair has a tiny droplet on the end. Just before sunset all the leaves angle upwards. I'd read about full size plants assuming a "praying position", but I didn't know the seedlings did it too. I'm happy to see that the internodal distance is really short. I've got my lights right over the inserts, maybe 32mm high. I dread leggy seedlings.

So far, I've got 200 cells planted. I ordered a few more varieties, and think I am beginning to understand how you guys with 100 kinds of seed got that way. After reading deluxestogies description of the Vuelta Abajo I thought some good cigar varieties would be a good addition. I'm trying to stick to "heirloom" varieties, as the seed from hybrid varieties won't grow true to type, as I understand it. I assume that many of the "Cuban" varieties (Criollo 98, habano 2000, etc) are hybrids?

I need to get out in the field soon and turn over some earth.

aliciaB

That was nice. The length and width of each section can be enough for them to grow well. After which, you can transfer them to a bigger one and start the cultivation.

dubhelix

Madole seedlings at 30 days, they'll need a haircut soon.
photo-25.jpg

Finally got out into the field and got a couple truckloads of horse manure/sawdust spread. It's fresher than I'd really like, but it's what I had available. Got my son to do most of the shoveling.
photo-29.jpg

Once I rake it into the rows I'll spread rock phosphate, greensand, and wood ash over it, and till it in.

DonH

One of the botanists here can correct me if I'm wrong but I think stabilized hybrid tobacco types will grow true to type from seeds.

Brown Thumb

Very nice looking setup, It looks like you do it all by hand. That is a lot of work. I can barley pick up a shovel let alone dig a hole.
Your starts look very healthy and strong.
Have a Super Growing Season.
BT

dubhelix

This is my broadfork. There are many like it but this one is mine.
photo-37.jpg

Mine runs on venison and coffee. You can run it on cheesburgers and beer, but it's not nearly as efficient.

Plants are getting kinda big for the grow trays.
photo-36.jpg

But the deep cell trays worked really well.
photo-33.jpg

I decided to put a couple in the ground, 'cause it's 80 degrees outside, and I'm impatient and don't follow good advice very well.
photo-34.jpg

It was so much fun that I put in 16 plants.
photo-35.jpg

Hopefully I can cover them tonight, since (of course) it's going to drop to 29 degrees.

Thanks to deluxestogie for posting about how not to do what I did, right after I did it.

dubhelix

They had been outside for two days (in at night) then two days and nights outdoors in the trays, and they've been out in the ground since friday. They seem pretty robust and well adjusted, but I dont know that they'd survive direct exposure to frost. I'm going to put some cardboard boxes over them before it gets dark tonight. Regarding my son, he left the broadforking to me. He keeps saying he will take a turn but then something involving trucks and girls always seems to come up. Damn country music. Anyway, if you want his services you'll have to get in line behind the Marines, and I'll bet when he's done with that he'll be real tired. Broadfork was purchased through Lehmans, about $120. Works pretty good. I'd rather own a hundred dollar broadfork than rent a tiller for a hundred bucks a day.

Rickey60

All I can say is WOW! Your starter plants look great. I can only hope mine look that good when I am ready to plant. Great job...

rainmax

Founding Member
Nice plants. I would cover them with Agribon, like Bob did last year. If they are not hardened enough, god help, you can protect them at least from direct sun light and possible frost. Good luck.

dubhelix

Well, I've had some frost damage. Lost about half of the Madole and a few Bolivian Criollo Black. Some plants were heavily damaged, some untouched. All my seedling trays were outside that night as well, and some seedlings got damaged, though most were unfazed. There is some other factor at work here, but I'm not sure what it is. Something to do with soil moisture, perhaps. Next year I'll wait until May 1 to plant, and will probably keep the seedlings in some sort of greenhouse type thing.

This Madole was untouched by the frost:
photo-44.jpg

While this one was pretty much destroyed:
photo-39.jpg

Bolivian Criollo, untouched by frost:
photo-40.jpg

Bolivian Criollo, damaged by frost:
photo-43.jpg

On the bright side, My Yellow Orinoko and Shirey shrugged off the frost, and look great.
photo-41.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.