Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Havok’s Unscientific Un-grow Blog

Havok

Just a foreword: this is not meant to undermine the contributions of any members. Not is this a bible for how to grow tobacco. As a matter of fact, don’t waste your time intentionally doing any of this, because I already am doing it for you.

Recently a member commented on the hardiness of our precious plants pointing out their frailty. Yes, crap things can happen, crap things do happen, and we’re all prone to being, justifiably, disappointed when things go wrong.

So are they hardy? Are they fragile? (…I’m speaking about our plants, not our feelings.) Or is there an abundance of caution with this cumulative knowledge to reduce the heartache? Let’s find out!

There’s more boredom and madness than there is science and methodology herein (at least on my part), so if you want more science… well you know where to go (other threads. What did you think I meant by that?)

Last Saturday I did my final thinning. A bit late, I know. I took a small load (about 44 seedlings of mixed varieties) of the thinned out seedlings to my garden, haphazardly mushed them into the ground and dumped water on them.

These little puppies have leaf-spans up to about 1” (L) by 0.5” (W). They’ve never seen sunlight or real wind before and were germinated in a basement and spent a good portion of their life under a dome. They were barely “hardened off” to my cozy basement conditions.

Since putting them out on Saturday in the 15C sun and windy conditions, I watered them a second time the next day by tossing water from a jug in their general direction. It reached about 10C that day (being generous).

That night and every day since they have received love and care from only Mother Nature… in the form of snow, wet snow, sleet, freezing rain, mini hail-like pellets of ice, brief moments of not as frozen precipitation, and maybe 3 hours of sunlight. This morning a lovely blanket of frost.

From what I can see, from my deck (because I’m pretty and I don’t want to get my shoes dirty), they kind of look like they’re alive.

If they are, I’ll keep you updated on their short existence. Maybe this thread will get moved to a “discussions” forum and other people can add some “what not to do’s”.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I struggled the first couple of years mainly because I tended them too much. Overwatered, over fertilized, over babied. If I can jusst keep them alive until I get them outside and leave them alone, the quicker they take off and thrive. I tried irrigation and it was okay, then a drought hit the next year and I said make it or die. I didn't water a drop. One of my best years.

ChinaVoodoo

Every year, I follow the Alberta recommendation of not planting before May long weekend, which is in honour of Queen Victoria. This year it's May 25. And then, because life is busy I often don't plant until a week or two after. But this year, I think I'm going to plant my tobacco as soon as this cool week is done. I think May 25 is overkill to begin with, and with raised beds, ground temperature should be nice.

Old Gasman

I guess that's the sort of thinking that could be applied to so many hobbies and pastimes. I used to fish a lake with a pal and he had the very latest gear and loads of it to boot, so much that he had to use a trolley to get it to the bank. My gear was scant and well used and it fitted into a small backpack. The fish didn't know the difference and I caught as much if not more than my pal. That's how I view my tobacco growing, I dont have heated pads nor LED lights, I just sow the seeds and let them get on with it, it seems to work ok.

Havok

We had another good frost this morning that’s left the soil nice and damp. Aside from the first couple days, Mother Nature has done her bit to keep these itty bitty seedlings hydrated for me. But, that’s also keeping me from going in and getting a closer look.

From what I can see from the edge of the garden: there are a few that seem to be struggling, some likely dead (or mostly dead, which is different than all dead), but some are still looking alive-ish.

According to the forecast our lows should be above 0C for the next two weeks… so we’ll see how that goes.

Havok

I didn’t find and photograph all of the seedlings that I planted out. Cant say that I really tried, and maybe some are just so dead and gone that I won’t find them.

They’ve been pummelled by rain since my last post but yesterday things started to clear up and today was “summer like” (for us in this area, “probably winter like” for some of you). So, I did manage to get a closer look without getting too dirty.

Havok

In no particular order (except the order of some pictures for scale at the end), here’s what I found.

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6881.jpeg
    IMG_6881.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6882.jpeg
    IMG_6882.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6883.jpeg
    IMG_6883.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6884.jpeg
    IMG_6884.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6885.jpeg
    IMG_6885.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6886.jpeg
    IMG_6886.jpeg
    502 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6887.jpeg
    IMG_6887.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6888.jpeg
    IMG_6888.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6889.jpeg
    IMG_6889.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6891.jpeg
    IMG_6891.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6892.jpeg
    IMG_6892.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6893.jpeg
    IMG_6893.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6894.jpeg
    IMG_6894.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6897.jpeg
    IMG_6897.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 6

Havok

Continued

Attachments

• IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6904.jpeg
    IMG_6904.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6908.jpeg
    IMG_6908.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6909.jpeg
    IMG_6909.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6910.jpeg
    IMG_6910.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6911.jpeg
    IMG_6911.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6912.jpeg
    IMG_6912.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 2

Havok

As you can see from the scale pictures, these were not hardened off plants with palm sized leaves. The larger leaves ranged from dime to quarter size. These were the runts hidden below the seedlings I kept inside that I will plant out when the time is right.

Obviously a lot of casualties, some clinging to life, and some that just might make it. But definitely nothing thriving.

This week is supposed to be fairly nice and warm during the day. Maybe we’ll see some bounce back and surprise us? But so far I think we’re learning, at least from the mortality rate, that this is not the best way. So far, yes they can be hardy - even against the odds, tiny little baby plants can pull through. But more so -seems there is some weight and merit to the knowledge and experience here in the forum.

manfisher

In no particular order (except the order of some pictures for scale at the end), here’s what I found.
This kind of reminds me of those "rare WWII photo albums" that show the aftermath of brutal battles with rotting bodies, mortar craters, burning vehicles, etc. . Do you have another batch inside you're still waiting to put out? I had almost the same experience with my first batch. We had 70F weather with full sun the week after the last frost date and same forecasted the next week. Out of nowhere, the weather changed, low 30Fs in the evening, windstorms, downpours and frost all over the place for week and a half. Some of my plants died (or so I thought), they were paper white, limp and decaying in the ground but I checked back about two weeks later and they actually had bounced back bigger and healthier than they were before. I might leave them in the ground and see what happens!

Havok

In deed. The babies that I intend on planting out are safe and warm inside.

This is actually part two of my non-scientific project. Last year I germinated seed in my garden and let those go for a while until they needed to be sniffed out before they started stealing nutrients from my good plants. Those seed were from immature pods that were dumped out in my garden. -I probably should have started this back then, the germination rate was considerably lower than inside and they didn’t catch up to the indoor starts. On the flip side , they did germinate and eventually started to threaten my good plants. They wouldn’t have caught up though. In a different climate they would have done better (maybe), which is why they survived in the wild so well before Hoomans came along. Most definitely how they evolved to have so many tiny seeds in those pods. Make a couple hundred thousand seeds and your progeny (some) can survive bad odds.

Havok

Got in there to take care of some weeds and take a look. It’s looking a lot more grim out there after a few warm days (68-74F). Only a handful that are not shrivelled up.

Honestly I’m surprised that there are some that are still clinging on. If I tried to be a little bit more scientific in my non scientific experiment, I would have maybe implemented a few variables for different groups. Maybe put some under row covers, harden another group off, fed some (? Lol).

I’m starting to think following some proper precautions that getting plants out a month or two before the last frost may actually be viable.