Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How does Air cured Virgina taste

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Would it be similar to burley?
No. Each class will have its own unique flavor and characteristics and there will be some varience between each variety within that class. Cherry Red flue cured variety will share some characteristics with Gold Leaf 939 flue cured variety and can be substituted with each other in a blend with slight flavor differences. Neither could be confused with Burley and not just due to strength or flavor. The pH will be different. Burley will hit you in the throat, while flue cure will tend to bite you on the tongue. Other members can weigh in on the science behind it but where the rubber hits the road is trying to develop your own blend that balances the two. (or dark air, or maryland, oriental, etc.) Some may prefer a slight tongue bite over a neutral blend with a neutral pH, while others may prefer a blend that delivers a noticeable throat hit. Each blend can balance all those combinations so you can choose a blend for the way you feel at any given time. (When my wife is on a tear, I sneak out back and smoke a blend with a strong flavor that kicks me right in throat. But that can vary if the mother in law is also over. I might toss in some Latakia.) It just depends on the individual. You get to tailor your personal blends to your personal preferences and you can work up several different blends.
Here are some good books, downloads, and threads from our very own members.

Last edited:

Hayden

I did air cure some of my virginias.
At least with my harvest i would say the following. My air cured tobacco taste similar to darker flue cured ones but i would say that the mouth taste from flue cured is better while you only get the taste from air cured with retrohaling. I have now pressed some air cured into a flake to see how it will change.
Keep in mind my weather was bad as i growed it so maybe the taste could be more intense with it would have been better.