Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Log 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You have a nice harvest going on. Congratulations. I hope your cure goes well.

My cousin from Middlesex, outside of Detroit, just left from a few days visit. His accent is a little heavier than yours. His father (married my cousin) was known as the "News Hawk" and was the last reporter to interview Jimmy Hoffa. The interview was in Playboy.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Knucks I notice more of an accent in myself than I do in you southern boys. WeIrD huh :D and thanks, It's come up really quick. I usually begin to harvest right around the time of our expo at MSU and that's come and gone already. Now if it'd just warm up during the day we'd be golden!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
In my drunken splendor I want to say what a magical liquid Kentucky clear is. It gives a proud man understanding and a sad man a new view on life when all else seems sad and dreary. 9 ounces later we are all old friends ya know? I got another 50 leaves harvested tonight too...mmm tobacca

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg

Close to the end of harvest, seed pods are turning brown, getting to the top leaves and everything is really starting to die down. Luckily the veggies are just starting to produce :). Next year, as much as I love the green veined plants, I just don't have the time/necessary equipment to cure them appropriately, I will just be growing white veined strains and oriental (Izmir, Xhanti) strains.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Well, found my first hornworm, naming her/him Medusa. I'll see if she cocoons up.

DonH

View attachment 7236
View attachment 7237
View attachment 7238

Close to the end of harvest, seed pods are turning brown, getting to the top leaves and everything is really starting to die down. Luckily the veggies are just starting to produce :). Next year, as much as I love the green veined plants, I just don't have the time/necessary equipment to cure them appropriately, I will just be growing white veined strains and oriental (Izmir, Xhanti) strains.
Did you grow Bright Leaf this year. That's a green stem variety that cures easily. There are some others, too.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yeah I did, I guess that is the 1 consideration for next year. I smoked some lugs of the VBL and to be honest it was amazing. I'll be growing that next year. I have kept the humidity/heat (with air flow as well) quite high the barn, the first batch of VBL that was cured, did so to a medium brown color. With the 908F days last week a lot of that stuff cured to a sexy dark brown. I forgot to add a picture but I ended up cutting everything I had to try and get the green out of it before the big move. Right now my garden looks really tiny...with little brownish green stalks sticking out of the yard...

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I figured I would continue to update this even though it's well past growing season.

I just shucked the seed pods last week and got a very good harvest of seeds.

Xhanti Yaka
YTB
Conn. Shade Leaf
Black Mammoth
VA Bright leaf

I'll have baggies of seed available upon request. just pay s/h.

The leaves are aging nicely, the conn. black mammoth is a bit grassy still, but everything else has acquired the coveted tobacco smell like it should be. I can really smell the differences between the different orientals, and especially comparing them to the burleys. Simply amazing in my view.

I made a few nice cigars out of VA bright leaf wrappers, black mammoth binders (crock pot kilned ones), and a 80% ytb 10%/10% Xanti/Izmir filler. Smoke wonderful, very robust tasting but not a huge kick in the face with nicotine.

I still have everything hanging in the new garage aging and smoothing out :)

AmaxB

Nice of you to give a little update Michi..
The growing and harvesting is only half of the trip, curious to know how the VA bright burned when used as a wrapper?

AmaxB

That sounds good, I tried some of my AR for wrapper awhile back but it would not burn it was pretty new. I have some in my kiln has been working 3 weeks now and will test some in a cig soon. I am hoping to use some for cigars filler, binder, or wrapper because it is kind of spicy. When this batch comes out of the kiln I'll put about half or all of this years crop in and age it a bit.

jekylnz

Looking good there Mich. Those horn worms are big!! We get nothing like them that big here..im not complaining though. .
Only thing like that lives on gum trees.so no worries. .moth caterpillar
gummothcatterpilar_big-1.jpg

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
That leaf is fairly spicy, not a burning sensation as much as what I call "deep flavored". Enjoyable for a cigar.
I only had a few worms to worry about this year and there wasn't really damage from them. I just peeled them off and showed them off to the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.