Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mixed opinions on 24hr light cycle - What sayz the hive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehead

Left mine under the lights 24/7 I shut them off maybe 5 nights out of 7 to 8 weeks.
it is easy to run them off a cheap timer unless you are running hid lights then you need a good timer that can handle the amps. smart people that grow inside now duct the heat out a chimney or dryer vent. with the new inline air cooled or water cooled hoods you dont make much of a heat signature. in the north some people who have electric heat use hid lights and don't vent the heat. they heat with lights and the electric baseboards hardly turn on so there electric bill in winter stays about average for winters. kill two birds with one stone kind of thing.

jekylnz

I know guys that have growing "stuff" indoors to a fine art..and they reckon that even if it's a hour of dark..is better than none at all..plants need the down time to rest, to grow probably. .usually at a reduced temperature Also..
They will do better than straight 24 hour 7 days a week....like bonehead said 18/6 is the optimal ..and any more won't do much difference.
Also 12/12 will make them flower early FAL if they're only a month old. .I wouldnt advise it..they will only take longer to go back to veg. Cycle once outside.

FALaholic

Also 12/12 will make them flower early FAL if they're only a month old.

Thanks jekyl, but I'm already toppin em now :D .
Guys the 24 hour light cycle didn't hurt them, or make much of a difference. I was expecting more of a growth, but didn't notice any beneficial change. Perhaps if I were on a MH or HID light, it would have made a difference. Depending on how cold it gets here, I may have my seedlings again on a 24hr light cycle, as it keeps the grow area warm(er) .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Guys the 24 hour light cycle didn't hurt them, or make much of a difference. .

FALaholic, Always the experimenter here, I'd like to know... How do you know the 24 hour light cycle didn't hurt them? Did you grow another set with a normal light cycle and compare the differences such as height, time to flower, weight of leaf?

Curious Man Rand

Rickey60

I would think that a heating mat and a normal light cycle would produce the best plants. Even on cold nights a heat mat radiates heat around the small plants keeping them warm.

bonehead

[QUOTE=FALaholic;58375 Depending on how cold it gets here, I may have my seedlings again on a 24hr light cycle, as it keeps the grow area warm(er)
the biggest problem with the dark cycle is the amount of humidity in the air. if you have high humidity and the temprature drops much more than ten degrees you have to watch out for condensation on the plants. the plants actually like a temprature drop at night. unless it is getting to cold you are better off fixing high humidith with ventilation. fresh air is important for plants also, plants breathe and need fresh air.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I would think that a heating mat and a normal light cycle would produce the best plants. Even on cold nights a heat mat radiates heat around the small plants keeping them warm.

I used heat mats this year. I was pleased with the results.

EDIT: Hot damn! I just had an idea. I'm drying my stems in the basement. I'm going down now and hook up the heat mats to put the leaf on and see if the ribs dry any faster. Thanks Rickey.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As an alternative to conjectures, there is a superb book (only 192 pages) on the ways in which plants respond to sensory stimuli:

Chamovitz, Daniel. What a Plant Knows: a field guide to the senses. Sci Amer (2013-reprint).
http://www.amazon.com/What-Plant-Knows-Field-Senses/dp/0374533881/
Only $10.74 in paperback on Amazon.

One of Amazon's Ten Best Science & Math Books of 2012

One of Chicago Tribune's Favorite Books of 2012

A Los Angeles Times 2012 Summer Reading Selection

One of Audubon Magazine's Notable Books of 2012

“An intriguing and scientific—but easy to read—look at how plants experience life.” —Gardens Illustrated
Bob

springheal

Years ago, I used a heat pad from a waterbed with the thermostat which did an exceptional job. Shame I no longer have it. The pad is large in size which is great for sowing heaps of seeds of any type.

Status
Not open for further replies.